Research Animal TechnicianJYG Innovations | San Antonio, TX, 78202, US
Salary Range:$18,000 – $27,000 Salary range estimated by Zippia
Posted 25 days ago
Job Title: Research Animal Technician Location: JBSA Joint Base San Antonio Ft. Sam Houston, TX Employment: Full TimeStart Date: 30 April 2023Benefits: JYG offers exceptional benefits, including Medical/Dental/Vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, 401(k) and semi-monthly direct deposit.Requirements:
- US CitizenshipHold current or have the ability of obtain a Secret ClearanceMinimum of an Associate's degree in a biological science, along with a minimum experience of at least three (3) years in laboratory animal research in the last six years or five (5) years of hands-on emergency/specialty animal medicine experienceAbility to effectively perform preparations for surgery as well as necropsy on multiple small and large research animal species.
- Experience: Prefer three years' experience working with non-human primates in a research setting.
- Experience: Prefer at least one year of experience in animal behaviorTasks:
- Assist with necropsy; set up, collect and properly label biological samples, clean up and properly document the proceduresMaintain sanitation of cages and racks in vivarium areas in accordance with all DoD, Federal, and local regulationsPerform basic animal husbandry duties as well as prepare an animal environmental enrichment schedule and provide the environmental enrichment in accordance with all DOD, Federal and local regulationsPerform minor surgery and/or microsurgery on laboratory animalsMaintain records to comply with regulatory requirements. Knowledgeable of the requirements for AAALAC International accreditationCollect experimental data from animals to include blood pressure, weight, blood analyses or other tests required as part of the protocol supportAssist with developing standard operating procedures, maintain and document facility sanitation, ensure safety procedures are followed, documented and maintainedInform the Facility/Vivarium Manager of issues that arise or need repair to maintain the required standardsOrder and maintain supplies for the vivariumCreate and revise research forms, provide forms and regulatory guidance to research staff with guidance from the Attending Veterinarian (AV) and Branch ChiefSchedule and organize internal and external inspections, maintain the tracker for correction of deficiencies and provide a report to the AV as well as the Branch ChiefReview animal subjects research protocols as well as related documents to ensure they are followed as approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and Air Force policiesMaintain records as well as electronic databases of animal research protocols, their progress and perform animal inventory management functionsFollow established research guidelines and policies for animal care activitiesBe knowledgeable of regulations, compliance standards, and guidelines with regard to the Animal Care and Use ProgramProvide quality control of the administrative areas of the Animal Care and Use ProgramProvide administrative support to the branch as well as other duties as assigned appropriate to the required functions of the research missionPerform animal health checks when required and alert veterinarians of any pertinent animal health related issuesMust be eligible to pass security/background screening JYG Innovations is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. JYG Innovations is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, pregnancy or veteran status. We welcome the employment of women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities in our workforce. If you are in need of special assistance, please contact our Human Resources Department. Interested parties may view our Affirmative Action Plan for Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities by contacting the Human Resources Department. JYG Innovations participates in E-Verify.
- Ability to perform minor procedures, maintain gas and continuous rate infusion anesthesia for multiple species independentlyAble to show husbandry experience for both small and large research animal species to include health checksDemonstrate excellent communication skills both oral and writtenProficient in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and SharePointPhysically able to stand for long periods of time and be able to carry 30lbs of equipmentAble to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the researchHighly Desired Qualifications:
- Degree: Preferred in an academic field related to animal sciences, health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the positionCertification: Preferred certification by American Association Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) or Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATg)