Associate Dean of AdmissionsBowdoinham Country Store | ME, US
Posted 25 days ago
The Associate Dean contributes to all aspects of the admissions process and is an important member of the admissions team’s efforts to recruit, identify, and welcome new students to Bowdoin College. Core functions of this role include recruitment efforts on and off campus (including travel to represent the college, interviewing students, and conducting information sessions); application review and participation as a member of the admissions committee; program and project management; and building relationships with school counselors, students and families, community-based organizations, and others across Bowdoin.
The Associate Dean will manage international recruitment for the Office of Admissions—including strategy, event planning, outreach efforts, and key relationships. This person will serve as the primary contact working with related Bowdoin offices, as well as for off-campus partners, organizations, and vendors (such as the Davis United World College Scholars Program, InitialView, Duolingo, IBO , and IACAC , to name just a few). The Associate Dean will manage an international territory, for both travel (recruitment) and reading (evaluation), and will serve as a team lead for admissions staff contributing to international recruitment and selection efforts. This position will work closely with the Dean of Admissions and Student Aid and the Director of Admissions to develop and manage evaluation and selection processes for the international applicant pool. Other project areas, including supervisory responsibility/management of staff, will depend on the person’s experience and interests as well as office needs.
The anticipated start date for this position is May 2023, though may commence earlier (or later), dependent on the successful candidate’s and Office of Admissions’ needs. Candidates are encouraged to submit their materials by our priority deadline of March 1, 2023.
All admissions staff are expected to embrace Bowdoin’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. A commitment to the common good means working, every day, to welcome more diverse perspectives. Bowdoin believes that only through building a more diverse and inclusive campus community will the College best prepare graduates to be contributing and useful citizens of the world.
Also at the heart of Bowdoin is a deep understanding and belief in the values and benefits of the liberal arts. Admissions staff are expected to clearly articulate the values and benefits of a liberal arts education and the opportunities available to students at Bowdoin.
Salary Range for this position is expected to be: Minimum $70,000 – Maximum $80,000 per year.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Applicants must possess excellent organizational skills and exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- A willingness to travel and to work extended hours during peak periods
- An interest in engaging with the public (especially high school-aged youth and their families)
- The ability to manage both detail-oriented work and big-picture thinking.
- Proficiency in a variety of common programs of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) is necessary.
The successful candidate will be someone with a deep enthusiasm for the experience of a liberal arts education, possessing the ability to engage students from diverse backgrounds, with a high level of organization, energy, and exceptional presentation skills. This role requires someone who is eager to collaboratively contribute as part of a team that values communication, empathy, creativity, and curiosity.
Experience Requirements and/or Equivalents
- A minimum of six years of experience working in education, preferably in selective college admissions or college advising, is preferred.
- The ideal candidate has an understanding and enthusiasm for admissions work as well as an appreciation for working with high school and college students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to comply with the College’s Motor Vehicle Policy is required. This position is subject to a criminal history background check and motor vehicle record check. This role may be required to drive vehicles, such as rental cars or fleet vehicles, during the course of work.
- Normal business hours are weekdays between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm.
- Long hours and frequent weekend and evening work may be required during peak periods. Travel is a necessary component of this position.
- While eligible for the College’s hybrid work policy, this role is not a fully remote position. It requires that the successful candidate relocate to Maine. Currently, admissions officers are in-person (in-office) 2-3 days per week, operational needs permitting.
Bowdoin embraces diversity in all forms, and the College is home to talented students, faculty and staff—with a variety of racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds; religious beliefs; and gender identities, among other factors.
We encourage applications from candidates committed to the support of an inclusive campus community and those who will enrich and contribute to the College’s multifaceted diversity. We value a community in which individuals of all backgrounds are warmly welcomed and encouraged to succeed.
Founded in 1794, Bowdoin has maintained its commitment to the liberal arts for well over 200 years. Bowdoin’s reputation as a preeminent liberal arts college rests on the excellence of its faculty, students, and staff; intimate size; strong sense of community; and connections to the people, history, and natural beauty of Maine.
Bowdoin’s campus is situated in a beautiful natural setting. Located in Brunswick, Maine, a town of approximately 20,000, the College is a short drive from the Maine coast, twenty-five miles from Portland and 120 miles from Boston.
Employment Category Full Time Year Round
Benefits Eligible Yes
Background Check Package Requirements Administrative Staff + MVR
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Bowdoin vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job? Yes
Is a pre-placement physical required for this position? No
Posting Date 02/17/2023
Applications Accepted Until
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Posting Internal/External
Special Instructions to Applicants
Bowdoin College complies with applicable provisions of federal and state laws that prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment, admission, or access to its educational or extracurricular programs, activities, or facilities based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry and national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, marital status, place of birth, genetic predisposition, veteran status, or against qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other legally protected statuses.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this position?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Ed
- Google Search
- Maine Job Link
- Employee Referral
- Bowdoin College Website
- Radio Ad
- If you answered Employee Referral or Other, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)