Intern - Environmental EngineeringNewmont Mining Corporation | WA, US
Posted a month ago
Press Tab to Move to Skip to Content Link
Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont (www.newmont.com ) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont's core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont's industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About this role
What will you be responsible for?
Summer intern positions begin in May 2023 and conclude in August 2023. The exact dates are flexible depending on each student’s availability and our business need. Our internships are full-time paid positions (40 hours/week).
As an intern, you will be responsible for implementing specific 3 projects, as well as supporting the day-to-day activities at the Midnite Mine Superfund Site. The exact projects will be established according to your availability, interest, skills, and experience, in addition to the specific business needs.
Your role will consist of
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
- Research into multiple topics including: Developing the Revegetation plan for reclaimed mined areas, developing a site specific correlation between Uranium and Radium using X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF), developing a long term operation and maintenance plan for a reclaimed property.
- Support the construction of a 250 GPM Chemical Precipitation Plant, associated effluent pipeline and a waste containment area. The incumbent will work alongside the Project Engineer, Quality Control Officer and the Plant and Mine superintendents assisting with reviewing plans, specifications and drawings to ensure the contractors is meeting those plans.
- Support the collection of data and submit daily construction reports.
- Support and assist in writing change orders.
- Support the collection and processing of soil and water samples to determine contaminate levels.
- This includes collecting ground and surface water samples to determine if the remedial action is affecting contaminate levels.
- Provide general support to the project controls team for data analyses and reporting of production and financial data.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills, and experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
- Undergraduate students preferred, graduating in December 2023 or later with degrees in Environmental Engineering, Mining Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Construction Management. We will consider other similar disciplines.
- Experience in mining and/or passion to learn about the hard-rock mining industry preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organization, project and time management skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; comfort engaging with senior leaders and global teams.
- Strong research methods capability and writing skills.
- At least a 3.0 GPA or equivalent.
- Valid work authorization to work in the United States for this position.
Working conditions and location
Where you will be located!
This internship is based at our Midnite Mine Remedial Action Project, in Wellpinit, WA. Travel is required to and from site daily. There is ample opportunity to network with our company and several contractors working at the site.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
The salary range offered for this role is $22.88 (Freshman) - 41.60 (PHD). The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate’s salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company’s performance and their own individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont’s sole discretion.
Consistent with Newmont’s values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont’s workforce and the communities in which we work and live. With the wide availability of vaccines in the United States, if you are offered this position, you will have to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine prior to being hired. This requirement will be subject to an exemption process, as required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.