- $101,257 to $120,255
- Ongoing, full-time
- Kelvin Grove
Who are we looking for?
Queensland University of Technology (QUT) is seeking a Lecturer in Media Studies to join School of Communication, Faculty of Creative Industries, Education and Social Justice, Academic Division.
The School of Communication seeks to appoint an experienced Lecturer in Media Studies. We invite applications from scholars who can contribute a program of research-led teaching that advances debates and understanding of a digital media landscape characterised by new distribution technologies, novel modes of access and engagement, shifting regulatory contexts, and a thoroughly globalised marketplace.
Real world impact
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a 'real world' focus. We are an ambitious and collaborative institution that seeks to equip our students and graduates with the skills they will need in an increasingly disrupted and challenged world.
About the Academic Division
Academic Division includes the University’s faculties and research centres. It is responsible for education (learning and teaching), research, research services and support, and digital business solutions. The Academic Division is led by the Provost.
About the Faculty of Creative Industries, Education & Social Justice
In our rapidly changing world, driving economic, social and cultural development increasingly requires collaboration. The Faculty of Creative Industries, Education and Social Justice acknowledges this context— and specifically that how society learns, creates, communicates and collaborates is at the forefront of all innovative and impactful contributions.
The Faculty’s purpose is to create inclusive, ethical and sustainable change for a just world. We do this through collaborations within thriving interdisciplinary and diverse communities that connect our teaching, learning and research to deliver real world change.
With an intersection of creativity, education and social justice combined with QUT’s overall focus on technology the Faculty has strong ties to government and industry which provides our courses with a real- world focus. The Faculty prepares our students for innovative roles as knowledge leaders at the nexus of design, education, communication, creative practice and social change. We pursue research with impact, and our researchers collaborate on projects in specialised research groups and facilities across disciplines and institutions.
The Faculty of Creative Industries, Education and Social Justice is led by the Executive Dean and the Faculty Executive team comprising the Executive Dean, Deputy Dean, Heads of School, Associate Dean Learning and Teaching, Associate Dean Research, and Faculty Operations Manager.
The faculty is comprised of the following Schools under the leadership of the respective Head of School:
- School of Communication
- School of Creative Practice
- School of Design
- School of Early Childhood and Inclusive Education
- School of Teacher Education and Leadership
- School of Justice
In addition, specialist Faculty professional functions include:
- Faculty Operations: Budget and Planning, School Administration Support, Space, Equipment and Assets, and Technical Services teams under the leadership of the Faculty Operations Manager
- Office of the Deputy Dean: Engagement, and Student Specialist Support under the leadership of the Deputy Dean
- Office of the Executive Dean under the leadership of the Executive Dean
About the School of Communication
The School of Communication is ranked as Australia’s leading School of Communication. We offer a taught postgraduate program focused on Digital Communication and an undergraduate program with five concentrations:
- Digital Media;
- Media & Entertainment Industries;
- Professional Communication; and
- Advertising and Public Relations (taught by QUT Business School).
We are the number one School of Communication in Australia and 16th in the world in the field of Media and Communication according to QS World University Rankings (2021). QUT is also ranked well above world standard in Australia in Communication and Media Studies, and above world standard in Cultural Studies, according to the national research quality assessment exercise conducted by the Australian Government in 2010, 2012, 2015, and 2019—‘Excellence in Research for Australia’ (ERA). It is the only university in Australia that has received the top ranking for Communication and Media Studies in every ERA round since 2010.
The School has established international connections including research and teaching partnerships with leading institutions in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Brazil, China, Indonesia, and South Africa, among others.
This context fosters an ambitious research and teaching culture in the SoC that is strongly aligned with the research programs in the QUT Digital Media Research Centre (DMRC). The DMRC conducts world-leading interdisciplinary research that addresses local, national and global challenges at the forefront of digital transformation. It also?provides an ambitious, stimulating and supportive research culture for researchers, students, and partners.
What you need to succeed
You will demonstrate:
- Completion of a doctoral qualification in media studies or a related discipline.
- A track record of high-quality research publications and research presentations in media studies and capacity for higher degree research supervisions, successful research collaborations, and/or external research income
- A track record of effective unit coordination and lecturing in units with large student cohorts, implementing learning and teaching policies, and leading teaching teams
- Demonstrated success in adapting disciplinary debates and theories into impactful and authentic learning experiences for students
- Capacity to undertake service to the school, faculty, university, and/or discipline
Careers at QUT
Our culture is vibrant, inspiring and challenging. It's a world where like-minds come together with a commitment to making a real world difference, no matter what the area of expertise.
Beyond personal and professional fulfilment, a career at QUT brings a broad range of tangible benefits. QUT is a high quality and flexible organisation that is proud of its excellent employment conditions which include but are not limited to:
- Parental leave provisions
- Study support encompassing leave and financial assistance
- Comprehensive professional development
- Salary Packaging
Reference number: 221284
Term: Ongoing, full-time basis at Kelvin Grove
Remuneration: $AUD119,829 to $AUD142,312 pa (LEVB) (inclusive of $AUD101,257 to $AUD120,255 pa salary, 17% superannuation and 17.5% recreation leave loading)
Location: Kelvin Grove
Job opens: 24-Nov-2022
Applications Close: 29-Jun-2023 at 11.30pm*
* Following a period of curriculum change and renewal, we are keeping this vacancy open until we find the candidate with the right expertise and strong alignment with our teaching and research strengths. We will consider submissions on a rolling basis. To be considered for the role, please submit your application as soon as you can.
At QUT, our values reflect what we believe in, and what is important to us as an organisation. They capture our strengths, our distinctiveness and sit alongside the priorities outlined in our Blueprint 6, and guide our decisions and actions.
QUT aims to inspire and shape the future with talented students and staff from , united by our core values of Ambition, Curiosity, Integrity, Inclusiveness, and Innovation.