The Quality Improvement Specialist is situated out of the Birdsboro, PA manufacturing plant and reports to the NA Quality Manager, also based out of Birdsboro, PA. Arkema’s Specialty Polyamides Business Unit is the worldwide leader in the Long Chain Polyamides Market, with Production Sites, Sales Offices and Research and Development Centers in North America, Europe, China and Japan.
High-level, this position...
• coordinates the external and internal nonconformance investigations, systems and reporting efforts.
• interacts with global R&D, Sales, Business Development and Manufacturing teams drive continuous improvement of product quality, performance and repeatability.
• will be responsible for the trouble shooting, upkeep and implementation of Quality Control Instrumentation and Testing Procedures with intent of improving efficiencies, repeatability and reducing inherent variability of control testing.
• coordinates the North American collaboration with our various Quality Control Laboratories in France, Japan, and China.
More specifically, the job responsibilities include the following:
Quality Control Troubleshooting Investigations and Improvement Projects:
- Actively participates in Quality Control Improvement Projects to improve efficiencies, repeatability and reduce inherent variability of the solution; may lead smaller projects and or segments of larger projects
- Contributes to clearly outlined project details, goals and milestones through stakeholder approved charters and delivers timely exceptional results.
- Engages active personnel in solutions to ensure integration into process flow.
- Participates in and/or leads Capital Expense and Procurement activities for Quality Control Laboratory.
Demonstrates Technical knowledge in Quality Systems and on Rilsan®, Rilsamid® and Orgalloy® material:
- Organizes and analyzes data, explains conclusions/outcomes to management, production and research personnel.
- Coordinate and lead quality investigations and validations.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and proficiency in Quality Control concepts and testing procedures including SQC and capability measurements.
- Coordinates and product investigations; may act as lead in less complex investigations
- Ability to interact with the mechanical and analytical test laboratories.
Coordinates External and Internal Nonconformance Systems:
- Ethically maintains with precision and vigor the tracking systems for External and Internal Nonconformance
- Coordinates and/or conducts fair assessments with Production and Technical Service personnel to determine the root cause of non-conformances.
- Coordinates the efforts laboratory, analytical or processing investigations of non-conformances.
- Elicits and/or proposes corrective actions and advocates for their implementation at internal or external locations.
- Creates concise, accurate reporting for each external nonconformance in 8D format for distribution
- Creates a comprehensive monthly, quarterly and yearly overview of non-conformaces; determining trends and insights.
- Safety is paramount in daily work practices. The individual should be experienced in laboratory work and be familiar with standard laboratory health and safety practices.
- Respects the site safety protocol and participates regularly in safety programs and initiatives.
- Actively promotes safe behavior, and takes responsibility for personal safe lab operation.
- BS in Engineering or Chemistry, preferably related to material science, polymer chemistry or polymer processing
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in chemical industry, thermoplastic polymers experience is preferred.
- Expertise in the field of polymer processing or quality control is desirable.
- Requires strong knowledge of Specialty Polyamides Quality systems and processing
- Needs to be fully computer literate and be able to effectively use Office 365 Suite (Teams, Sharepoint, Excel, Word and PowerPoint etc.).
- Ability to adapt to the various needs of our business.
- Can act as a project leader; needs to respect milestones, deadlines and deliver results.
- Capable of understanding long term vision (strategy), and relationship to tactical day-to-day operating
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to solve problems logically, make sound conclusions, communicate effectively, and propose new ideas for growth.
- Communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing. Has ability to make effective presentations to multiple levels within the company. Is able to express both verbally and in writing complex concepts, thoughts and idea clearly and concisely.
- Understands functional group’s products and technologies.
- Understands when to operate under a CDA.
- Ability to work effectively with other team members on a global basis
Building on its unique set of expertise in materials science, Arkema offers a portfolio of first-class technologies to address ever-growing demand for new and sustainable materials. With the ambition to become in 2024 a pure player in Specialty Materials, the Group is structured into three complementary, resilient and highly innovative segments dedicated to Specialty Materials - Adhesive Solutions, Advanced Materials, and Coating Solutions - accounting for some 80% of Group sales, and a well-positioned and competitive Intermediates segment. Arkema offers cutting-edge technological solutions to meet the challenges of, among other things, new energies, access to water, recycling, urbanization and mobility, and fosters a permanent dialogue with all its stakeholders. The Group reported sales of €8.7 billion ($9.7 billion) in 2019, and operates in 55 countries with 20,500 employees worldwide.