S&C is the specialist in high-voltage switching, protection and control, providing products for the electric power industry since 1911. Product Engineering—Fuses and Circuit-Switchers is responsible for the design, application and support of fuse products including SM-4/SM-5 Fuses, SMD Transmission Fuses, Fault Fiter, Fault Tamer, Fuse Links, and circuit-switcher products including Series 2000, Mark V and Mark VI, Line-Rupter and Trans-Rupter II. The job of Project Engineer will be to develop, maintain and enhance new and existing transmission switch products. The position reports to the Assistant Manager—Product Engineering – Fuses & Circuit-Switchers.
For this role we are looking for a Project Engineer to join our Circuit-Switcher Product Engineering team. You will be responsible for leading project engineering efforts for mechanical and electrical design. You will work closely with the Quality, Global Sourcing and Operations teams to address quality and reliability concerns as well as to qualify new and/or secondary source suppliers. You will need to be detailed oriented and have strong organizational and interpersonal skills to effectively manage and communicate customer needs with external consultants as well as with S&C’s Sales teams. If you enjoy being introduced to new challenges and are interested in combining your design skills with hands-on problem solving in a fast-paced environment, then this is the role for you.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate with Designers and Engineers to design new Circuit-Switcher parts and assemblies
- Work with customers to answer application questions regarding the use of S&C’s transmission products
- Interact with customers on the phone or in the field to resolve design, manufacturing, or application related issues
- Develop and implement project plans, which include test plans and project schedules
- Use problem-solving techniques to address quality and reliability issues
- Evaluate and provide detailed, written engineering reports on returned products
- Develop test methods, both electrical and mechanical, and work with laboratory team members to perform tests
- Interpret, analyze, and summarize data, identify trends, prepare reports, and formulate conclusions
To select this job as one of interest to you, at a minimum, you must have the following:
- BS degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field
- Good electrical/mechanical aptitude to be able to aid in the design of electromechanical systems
- Good communication skills, written and spoken, to clearly present ideas in a variety of forums
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Very good interpersonal and organization skills to work with team members at all levels across the organization
- Good PC skills including proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Teams, Excel, and Word
Relevant work experience: Minimum of 7 years of product support, design, and development experience
MAJOR PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Standing: Occasional, during testing, sample preparation or process observation.
- Lifting: Occasional light lifting, infrequent lifting up to 50 lbs. for mock-up or test sample preparation.
- Walking: Occasional walking up to 1 mile within the company facility.
- Carrying: Occasional carrying of light objects for short distances.
- Pushing: Infrequent use of manual hand truck to move samples or mock-ups.
- Pulling: Infrequent use of manual hand truck to move samples or mock-ups.
- Bending: Occasional bending during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
- Reaching: Occasional reaching during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
- Handling: Occasional handling of parts and tools during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
Environment: Physical demands are those mostly associated with a regular office environment.
S&C is a global company providing equipment and services for electric power systems. Founded in 1911, the Chicago-based company designs and manufactures switching and protection products for electric power transmission and distribution. S&C’s Engineering teams design solutions for a portfolio of products for a wide range of customers including electric utilities and industrial/commercial power users. S&C offers broad opportunities for advancement, excellent education and training programs, a challenging work environment, and a strong package of pay and benefits.
The Human Energy of S&C has been built on the principles of integrity, enthusiasm, and sustained energy. These are the traits that S&C has always looked for and found when seeking people to join our 100% employee-owned team. S&C would not be where it is today without the diversity of our team members and business partners. We consider our diversity to be a core strength of our company, and we aspire to align our team-member demographics with the populations in which we live and work. To realize this vision, we seek to facilitate the career development of minorities, women and all team members through events hosted by our Inclusion, Diversity, Engagement and Awareness (I.D.E.A.) Group, Women’s Empowerment Group and other S&C affinity groups.S&C has a proud and longstanding tradition of providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Further, S&C is committed to taking affirmative action to ensure that qualified females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities can pursue equal employment opportunities. For information regarding equal employment opportunity, please see http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.