POSITION TITLE: Certified Pharmacy Technician-Outpatient
STATUS: Full Time (RF Status – 80 Hours/Pay Period)
DAY/SHIFT/HOURS: Variable work days, Monday-Saturday
7am-4pm or 9:30am-6pm
Every other to third weekend
Summary Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides patient care according to policies and procedures
· Communicates effectively with patients, families, and other health care professionals
· Interprets written and electronic prescriptions and transcribes to computerized patient medication profiles accurately
· Prepares medications for dispensing by the outpatient pharmacist by accurately choosing the correct medication and quantity
· Answers requests at pharmacy windows
· Assists in ordering, receiving, unpacking, and storing of prescription and over the counter medications
· Identifies and replaces outdated, recalled or unusable medications
· Follows work flow procedures as defined by department policies and procedures
· Transmits claims accurately to third party payers
· Reverses claims to third party payers when medications are not picked up by patients
· Maintains prescriptions, logs, records and other required documentation accurately
· Participates and promotes bedside medication delivery to discharged inpatients, outpatients, and emergency department patients
· High School Diploma or GED required.
· Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) verified through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
· Registration as a Registered Pharmacy Technician or Pharmacy Technician Trainee will be considered with the condition that Registration as a Certified Pharmacy Technician with the Ohio Board of Pharmacy is required within 6 months.
Complexity of Work:
· Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
· Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
· Typical physical demands include ability to perform the job while standing, reaching, stretching, and sitting for prolonged periods; manual dexterity sufficient to perform computer, dispensing functions of the job; ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
· While walking, stooping, bending and reaching; ability to transport 240 lb. cart.
Personal Protective Equipment:
· Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.