Requisition ID: 263698
- Relocation Authorized: None
- Telework Type: Full-Time Office/Project
- Work Location: Sydney, NSW
- Advertisement Close Date: 15 December 2022
About the Project
Bechtel, a global leader in project management, engineering, procurement and construction, has been selected by Western Sydney Airport Co as its Delivery Partner for the Western Sydney Airport, a $5.3 billion greenfield facility in Badgerys Creek, New South Wales. This will be a landmark project for both New South Wales and Australia and is due for completion at the end of 2026.
Western Sydney Airport will provide much-needed additional aviation capacity to meet growing demand in the Sydney basin and improve access to flights for people in Western Sydney. One of Australia's most significant infrastructure projects in decades, the international and domestic airport will open in 2026, bringing social and economic prosperity to the Western Sydney region. Learn more about this exciting project at the following: https://westernsydney.com.au/
Work Location: Badgerys Creek, South-Western Sydney
About the Role
The Area Manager will report directly to the Package Manager Airside.
The Area Manager has responsibility to proactively:
- Support all aspects of the package(s) within their area of responsibility including procurement, contractor formation, and engineering and construction performance;
- Ensure Contractors adhere to their contract obligations;
- Monitor and enforce safety and quality standards;
- Manage interface coordination; and
- Monitor progress relative to the schedule and report the assigned package status of activities to Package Manager.
The Area Manager is a key individual supporting the Delivery Partner’s (DPs) role in providing Project Management services and deliverables. In performing this role, the Area Manager will be familiar with the contract terms, scope, and requirements and will work as part of the broader DP package management team to fulfil the DP obligations.
The Area Manager will:
- Actively ensure Contractors are complying with safety requirements and encourage Contractors to perform their work in a safe manner.
- Work with Contractors to ensure persons carrying out their duties are fully aware of all risks associated with the task and are following the agreed work method statements.
- Promote a zero-harm performance and culture
- Actively ensure Contractors are aware of and comply with environmental requirements
- Actively interface with the Delivery Partner’s Engineering, Construction Interface, Work Health and Safety, Environment and Sustainability, Community, Workplace Relations, Contract Management and other relevant teams to ensure package delivery priorities are maintained.
- Prepare for WSA and / or review all Contractor submittals including construction schedules, costs, reports, and changes and trends as required.
- Produce daily reports with input from assigned Field Engineer.
- Report on construction aspects of the assigned package or portions of a package, maintain regular WSA contact for progress of work and, exchange of information and advice, as necessary.
- Coordinate construction efforts with, Package Manager, Procurement, Construction, Work Health and Safety, Environment and Sustainability, and Project Controls when required.
- Review design documents, change orders, material requisitions and specifications for construction associated with the Contractor’s scope of works.
- Review and provide input into Contractors management plans.
- Review the flow of information required from third parties to facilitate the timely progress of the construction work.
- Initiate DP and WSA correspondence related to the construction portion of the contract package.
- Review project construction progress against approved schedules, evaluate changes and advise corrective action when required.
- Bring both cost and schedule changes/deviations to the attention of the Package Manager for inclusion in the project Critical Items Action Report, Project Trend Register, weekly and monthly reports.
- Assist with the preparation of project studies, reports and forecasts when required.
- Provide input to Technical Risk Assessments, safety practices and procedures, engineering design as required.
- Communicate technical issues and recommend solutions as required.
- Actively work with the Contractor to identify defects and manage defect rectification
- Promote the creation of a project work environment, supported by leadership on the project / program, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
Skills and Experience
- Technical knowledge of related construction systems, applications of engineering and construction methods and materials for major Infrastructure projects.
- Experience working with and managing contracts.
- Proficient knowledge of project construction processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of related construction practices and the economics involved and current knowledge of new methods of design and construction.
- Advanced skill in oral and written communication.
- Interpersonal skills and able to interact closely with client and contractors while maintaining necessary levels of commercial awareness.
- Demonstrated skill in project management.
- A recognized degree in engineering from an accredited university, OR extensive (13 Years +) industry experience, including supervision on large construction projects (experience in the management of construction or engineering for major Infrastructure or Aviation Projects is an advantage).
What We Offer
There are many reasons why choosing to join Bechtel is one of the best career decisions you will ever make. In addition to working with talented, dedicated people and having the opportunity to play an integral role in stimulating and challenging local and international projects, Bechtel is committed to offering employees the benefits and resources to live healthy lives.
With a competitive salary package and annual discretionary performance bonus scheme in place, employee wellbeing is also at the centre of our business – promoted through flexible working arrangements, private health cover and includes access to a leading employee assistance program.
We are serious about setting you up for success from the very beginning. Experience an established online onboarding process, gain access to development opportunities via the Bechtel University and participate in our Talent Management and Reward and Recognition programs.
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel's duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.