Live the experience. From professional empowerment to continual learning opportunities. From ongoing investment in new and emerging technologies to a career of self-determination. At Ulta Beauty, our tech team is critical to our scalability—and is recognized that way. We’ve been defined as a “mature start-up.” A place where interdepartmental exposure, open doors, and genuine collaboration is ubiquitous. Where challenges come fast and furious, requiring agility, mental dexterity, and creativity. Where our passion for better solutions drives us and is core to who we are.
We’re engineering for the future of retail, and it’s no-holds-barred. But for those motivated by continual change and ambiguity, by superior leadership, by whip smart colleagues who will press you daily for your very best, you’ll find that virtually nothing’s impossible at Ulta Beauty.
THE IMPACT YOU CAN HAVE:
The Architect is a highly skilled technical resource who is an innovative thinker and is able to envision how technology can be leveraged to solve complex business problems. The BI Architect serves in a leadership position responsible for ensuring the organizations business intelligence tool sets and strategy is equipped to meet self-service reporting requirements. This individual will work closely with cross functional business and IT teams in a highly collaborative environment to develop well-designed BI solutions
YOU'LL ACCOMPLISH ALL THIS BY:
- System Software: Evaluate new system software, review system software updates, plan the installation and testing of new versions of system software, troubleshoot software problems and advise on the correct and effective use of system software.
- Systems Design: Support the system design within the functional area and on programs/projects and ensure adherence to relevant technical strategies, policies, standards and practices (including security).
- Solution Architecture: Contribute to the development of architectures for complex systems, ensuring consistency with specified requirements agreed with both external and internal customers while balancing between functional, service quality and systems management needs. Ensure that appropriate standards (corporate, industry, national and international) are adhered to.
- Information Management: Ensure that the business processes and information required to support the organization are defined and devise appropriate standards, processes and data architectures. Evaluate the impact of any relevant statutory, internal or external regulations on the organization's use of information and develop strategies for compliance.
- Innovation/Research: Monitor and seek opportunities, new methods, trends, capabilities and products to the advancement of the organization.
- IT Governance: Support the work of the governing authority/board, lead the review of management processes (and decisions) for compliance with the organization's strategy for corporate governance of information and develop architecture policies and standards.
- IT Strategy & Planning: Contribute to the policies, standards and guidelines for how the organization conducts IT strategy development and planning, and lead the creation or review of an IT strategy which meets the requirements of the business.
- Relationship Management: Develop long-term, strategic relationships with senior stakeholders, maintain a strong understanding of industry and business and act as a subject matter expert on technology.
- Define and steward the Enterprise Data Lifecycle Management including data quality, data conversion, and data security for BI solutions.
- Contribute to multi-year vision to drive the maturity of enterprise data BI assets
- Coordinate with Data Lead and analysts to understand business and reporting requirements to translate these needs into efficient data models (logical and physical), and lead the development of Integration, extraction, and transformation processes between data warehouse and the BI semantic layer
- Develop, implement, and maintain Power BI data workspace design related to subject areas covering Retail Sales/Planning, Supply Chain, Customer Analytics, Finance, Merchandise Planning, ect, to share and disseminate data throughout the enterprise
- Pro-active monitoring & reporting on system performance KPI’s providing visibility into resource utilization of different workloads such as ETL & BI tools
- Providing technical and architectural guidance to project and support teams and ensuring that there is a holistic strategic BI architecture to support the business
- Provide specific recommendations and architectures for Power BI enabled functional solutions
- Proactively monitor strategic direction of Power BI partner Vendors, technology and market trends, and determine their potential impact and value to the enterprise
- Proactively monitor strategic capabilities that compliment BI solutions including Tableau, Power BI, and other BI solutions
- This role requires participation in Architecture Review Board, to provide BI architectural insights and coverage to ensure proper assessment of other technologies impact to BI solutions.
- Works with functional leadership to provide guidance and recommendation in the early planning stages around the different solution patterns that may be appropriate for this specific solution
- Design and Develop BI Architecture, Conceptual Approach, Data Model, Integration with other Application platforms
- Develop specifications and standards for semantic layers for BI tools.
- Build a security architecture and partner with the data security team to ensure compliance of policies
- Set standards and best practices together with other architects
- Ensuring quality of the content of BI Business Solutions
- Building logical data modelling of BI Business Solutions
- Creating and gaining agreement to BI strategies
- Support the development of data architecture principles, standards and processes for the organization and applies these to deliverables
- Partners with developers, DBAs and data architects to ensure data models can be deployed and maintained efficiently and accessed by consumers of the data effectively
ESSENTIALS FOR SUCCESS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, CIS, or applicable work experience.
- 10+ years of experience in design and development of data lakes, data warehouses and BI platforms
- 5+ years of BI Architecture experience
- Strong experience in design, development and operationalization of large-scale enterprise data solutions on-prem and cloud.
- Experience with Power BI and Tableau is required
- GCP experience using tools such as Big Query, GCS, Dataflow, Dataproc, Pub/Sub preferred but open to consider AWS or Azure.
- Proven success delivering end to end BI Analytic Solutions spanning all aspects of solution delivery, requirements, estimates, designs, approach, dev/build/test, monitoring, transition to production
- Ability to engage business stakeholders to establish, define and maintain solution road maps for legacy systems ensuring they align with strategic and tactical business needs
- Experience in Data architecture, data models, and cloud-based infrastructure for data platforms.
- Expertise in data centric security architecture concepts and open standards
- Excellent analysis/troubleshooting skills, able to solve problems efficiently
- Excellent communication skills; feels comfortable working with non-technical business partners
- Able to motivate others to drive desired results
- Strong experience in establishing business processes
- Demonstrated ability to present recommendations to senior leaders for effective decision making
- Work with production support and project consultants in an onshore / offshore model
- Proven track record of delivering high quality solutions on time and on schedule
- Flexibility of providing support during odd hours, weekends, and peak seasons
- Minimal travel required (training/conferences)
- Understanding of retail industry business and IT processes and systems is beneficial.
At Ulta Beauty (NASDAQ: ULTA), the possibilities are beautiful. Ulta Beauty is the largest North American beauty retailer and the premier beauty destination for cosmetics, fragrance, skin care products, hair care products and salon services. We bring possibilities to life through the power of beauty each and every day in our stores and online with more than 25,000 products from approximately 500 well-established and emerging beauty brands across all categories and price points, including Ulta Beauty’s own private label. Ulta Beauty also offers a full-service salon in every store featuring—hair, skin, brow, and make-up services.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with arrest records, conviction records, or other criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of any applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act.