The Assistant Manager will aid the General Manager. The role requires oversight of gym operations to ensure an exceptional Judgement Free member experience as well as a financially successful club. The Club Assistant Manager will be accountable for leading a team with a focus to establish a fun yet competitive culture, positive member experiences, drive sales and revenues and to control profitability. The Assistant manager reports directly to the General Manager.
An Assistant Manager performs leadership, management, and organization tasks to ensure team members work efficiently and effectively during their shift. Their duties and responsibilities include:
- Organizing shift schedules for team members
- Monitoring attendance, tardiness, and time off
- Assigning duties to specific employees based on role and skills
- Supervising employees and assisting with tasks as necessary
- Supervise performance and sharing feedback with your General Manager, upper management and team members
- Managing employees requests and conduct
- Training new and current team members on tasks
- Handling customer issues and managing conflicts
- Adhering to company policies and health, safety and employment standards
- Upholding integrity and security with member documents and sensitive information always
- Managing club cleanliness and maintenance to ensure all aspects of the club are in like new conditions.
- Drive sales and member experience metrics such as BCM%, EFT growth, upgrades to memberships, saving cancels, avoid accounts going into RFC, merchandise sales, use of trainers, social reviews, NPS surveys and BER results
Most Assistant Manager candidates have at least a high school diploma or GED. Some candidates may have an associate degree in business administration or management. Though not required, a bachelor's degree in business or an industry-related field may indicate candidates with more advanced industry knowledge, relevant skills and practical training. Many candidates could benefit from on-the-job training to better transition into their roles.
Assistant Managers typically must have experience working as supervisor in the industry or with our PF team. For internal promotions, candidate must have at least 6 months of employment with us zero performance counseling records for the past 6 months.
An Assistant Manager uses a variety of soft skills and technical abilities to manage teams of employees. These skills and aptitudes often include:
- Recruit, hire, train and develop a high performing staff consisting of Shift Leaders, Member Service Representatives, Trainers and Cleaners.
- Continued training of staff in all sales areas including info calls, touring and rate presentation.
- Create and maintain a welcoming atmosphere for all members, prospective members and guests and ensure staff follows superior customer service guidelines.
- Managing all day-to-day operations.
- Enforcing all PF policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership within a team to set achieve club goals.
- Determining and improving weak areas of the club.
- Driving and growing club sales using sales skills and training.
- Staff Management
- Assist in scheduling staff and ensure all shifts are covered.
- Lead by example and maintain consistent accountability for direct reports by training and coaching, ensuring adherence to PF's values and goals.
- Resolve employee issues or concerns with your General Manager
- Following up with and holding all staff members accountable.
- Manage disciplinary/termination activities with your GM
- Involved in all front desk related activities including:
- Answer phones in a friendly manner and assist callers with a variety of questions.
- Check members into the system.
- New member sign-up.
- Take prospective members on tours.
- Facilitate all member requests, issues and questions.
- Ensure prompt opening/closing of gym.
- Oversee cleanliness and maintenance of facility
- Cleaning all assigned areas of the club including creating a priority cleaning list and delegating properly to the employees
- Ensuring club is more than ready for monthly club inspections and unannounced corporate visits
- Communicate with overnight cleaning team and expect to do overnight inspections from time to time
- Ensure safety of employees, members and club property.
- Determine and communicate equipment repair in Fitness EMS in a timely manner.
- Manage marketing efforts by ensuring that staff is aware and trained on all marketing promotions.
- Running and evaluating all reports and statistics.
- Ensure success in various metrics, including but not limited to:
- EFT Growth
- Secondary Billing %
- GEK and Merchandise Sales
- NPS Score
- BER Score
- Ensure nightly closing paperwork is correct and sending it to closings email.