About The Community Builders
The Community Builders, Inc. (TCB) is an entrepreneurial real estate developer and owner. Our mission is to build and sustain strong communities where all people can thrive. We envision a world with vibrant, safe and inclusive neighborhoods where all people live in healthy homes with equitable access to resources and opportunities to pursue their dreams, and we work to make that vision a reality. Founded in 1964, TCB currently owns/manages 12,000+ units of rental housing across the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest.
Why work at TCB?
Opportunity is not equally available across households and regions. Quality housing in good neighborhoods with reasonable access to jobs is out of reach for many Americans. Now more than ever, TCB aims to make vital contributions that address this fundamental opportunity gap, by adding to the stock of affordable quality homes in thriving communities for all people.
The Real Estate Development Project Associate role at TCB
Are you a creative problem solver with a focus on positive outcomes? Do you enjoy working on tangible projects that make a financial and physical difference to the communities where we work? Do you bring a drive for results and a desire to make a real difference? As a Project Associate you will partner with regionally based development project leaders to assist in moving multiple affordable housing projects in New England, specifically in Central and Western Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island through financial closing, post-closing and stabilization. As part of a cross-functional team, the Project Associate will work most closely with the Real Estate Development team, in particular Project Managers responsible for the seeing through a real estate development transaction from beginning to end.
Real Estate Development Project Associates will also collaborate with TCB staff in Property Management, Asset Management, Finance, and Accounting to advance pipeline projects and deepen our resident-focused outcomes.
We seek candidates with the demonstrated ability and desire to:
- Help manage a range of critical activities to support successful project closings and transition to construction phase
- Support deal closures that will provide quality affordable housing for residents in need
- Set appropriate deadlines and work within them
- Solve problems creatively, with resourcefulness and tenacity
- Work collaboratively, maintaining rapport with development project leaders, and with internal and external colleagues
- Actively participate as a team member, sharing new ideas and contributing to key initiatives
- Understand key risks and learn about strategies to avoid them
TCB succeeds with diverse and inclusive teams
The Community Builders, Inc. is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. As a mission-directed nonprofit with a longstanding focus in urban neighborhoods, TCB believes that our potential impact as a local partner, housing provider, and great neighbor, are immeasurably enhanced when staff and leadership combine technical proficiency with the abilities, perspective and insight that can only arise from true representation of the communities that we serve.
What's in it for you – professional development
- You will build key skills as a Development Project Associate, with an opportunity to make a real difference as the team works through complex decisions.
- You will work with a team of bright and dedicated individuals, whose creativity, persistence and get-it-done attitude make for an enriching work environment.
- TCB is part of a network of America's leading national nonprofit affordable housing developers and owners so we learn not just from our own experience, but our peers as well. We are involved in advocacy at the federal, state, and local levels, using our experience to help shape public policy.
Here's what we're looking for
- A passion for socially responsible real estate development
- Strong financial and analytical skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to multi-task, handling multiple projects and priorities at once and consistently meeting deadlines
- Microsoft Office proficiency, especially Excel
- Experience with development database and/or accounting software, especially Yardi
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to present to audiences that are racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse
- Real estate is local, so while some work can be accomplished remotely, working out of a Northampton office and meeting at various project sites in New England is essential.
- Bachelor's Degree or demonstrated interest in real estate development or related fields
- 1-3 years' work experience a plus
- Direct experience/familiarity with affordable housing development is helpful but not required
The Community Builders is committed to diversity in its workplace. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.