Summary: Under general supervision of the Compliance Manager the Compliance Specialist is responsible for the review and approval of move-in and annual certifications for all affordable units at all properties to ensure compliance with applicable affordable housing programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The following will be performed with strict adherence to MAIKER policies and procedures.
- Monitor and support the implementation of compliance programs, including policies and procedures as they relate to Maiker's affordability requirements.
- Perform necessary on-site file property audits/setting up new property files/training personnel/continuing education classes at various properties, no less than quarterly
- Review lease files for compliance and accuracy (implementing the attachment of documents in Yardi)
- Investigate discrepancies and issues found within the files.
- Submit findings to the Compliance Manager in a prompt manner.
- Ensure that Maiker conducts rental/leasing activity in compliance with all regulatory requirements and alert in a prompt and proactive manner any identified risks to Compliance Manager.
- For Layered Properties, review all HAPs, OCAFs, LIHTC Applications, LURA, Regulatory Agreements, and/or Funding agreement to determine the owner's obligations to remain in compliance with all programs. Populate Yardi Regulatory Reports as necessary.
- Initiate setup for all oncoming HUD regulated/financed properties and ensure annual certifications for existing properties. Provide documentation to HUD as requested.
- Author reports generated from Yardi for internal and external use.
- Provide ongoing guidance and training to all Community staff as dictated by the Compliance Manager to ensure and enhance accuracy of Maiker property operations files as described.
- Maintain up to date compliance certifications as required. Continuing education by attending training seminars within company and with outside sources - act as Maiker's compliance representative to the industry at large in a highly professional manner.
- Interface with CHFA on behalf of Maiker in relation to all compliance requirements
- Current compliance certification in Tax Credit and/or Home
- 2 or more years of experience in tax credit or subsidized housing, real estate or property management
- Understanding of landlord/tenant laws, Fair Housing policy and real estate law of rental property
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and local laws pertaining to tax credit and subsidized housing is required
- Technical knowledge of Occupancy Requirement of Subsidized Multifamily Housing (HUD 4350.3), Low income Housing Credits (LIHTC), HOPE and HOME rules and regulations.
- Working knowledge of Yardi Property Management Software, OneSite, and Safe Rent
- Working knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
Qualities and Characteristics
- Strong mathematical skills: concepts include fractions, percentages, and ratios
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent organizing & planning; ability to manage multiple projects
- Always meets deadlines
- Exceptional teamwork
- Ability to interpret technical procedures and governmental regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of employees, members, and the general public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Adaptability/Flexibility; open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Regular computer use throughout the day, ability to sit for lengthy periods of time
- Ability to stand and walk on hard surfaces, and go up and down stairs
- Ability to lift/push/pull/carry various objects of 10 – 30 pounds frequently and 30 – 50 pounds occasionally
- Ability to reach to shoulder level and above
- Ability to bend at the hips and knees
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate