Reception Teaching Assistant
- Location: Hammersmith
- Position: Teaching Assistant
- Start date: September
- Pay: £1600 - £1900 per month
Veritas are working with a OFSTED 'outstanding' school based in Hammersmith, looking for a teaching assistant to join a reception classroom as soon as possible for the start of the academic year. The teaching assistants main responsibilites would be to support the class teacher to enhance pupils' learning either in groups or individually, ensuring pupils understand the work set, know their learning objectives and stay on task in order to make progress. The successful teaching assistant candidate would also be working closely with a child in reception that needs extra support. The child is with ASD- non-verbal with the use of PECS/ Makaton and has sensory needs. The school in question has a fantastic SEND provision with a very supportive team to help new starters transition into their role.
The school is modern with lovely facilities, this year they are full capacity with year groups from Reception to Year 6, with a total of 420 pupils enrolled. The school has developed it own, distinct knowledge-rich curriculum which inspires pupils, promotes excellent outcomes for all and is underpinned by a drive to overcome inequality of opportunity.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF A TEACHING ASSISTANT
Teaching Assistant support for Pupils
- Support pupils to make good academic progress, under the direction of the teacher and Inclusion leader
- Set challenging and demanding expectations and promote self-esteem and independence
- Implement group or 1:1 interventions to support pupils who have emotional or social barriers to learning
- Establish constructive relationships with pupils, acting as a role model and setting high expectations
- Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils
- Provide feedback to pupils in relation to progress and achievement under guidance of the teacher
- Attend to the pupils' personal needs, and implement related personal programmes, including social, health, physical, hygiene, first aid and welfare matters
- Understand Individual Education Plans & Behaviour Support Plans and assist to implement these, under the guidance of the teacher
Teaching Assistant Support for Teachers
- Create and maintain a purposeful, orderly and supportive environment, in accordance with lesson plans and assist with the display of pupils' work
- Use strategies, under the direction of the teacher, to support pupils to achieve learning goals
- Discuss with the teacher how learning activities are to be organised and what their own support role will be
- Monitor pupils' responses to learning activities and accurately record and feedback to the teacher as directed
- Promote good pupil behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own behaviour
- Provide administrative support, e.g. photocopying, typing, filing, collecting money, administer coursework
- Good literacy skills - GCSE Grade C or above in English Language; Level 2 English or above; or equivalent
- Good numeracy skills- GCSE Grade C or above in Maths; Level 2 Maths or above; or equivalent
Desirable for a teaching assistant
- An honours degree (preferably Upper Second) or equivalent
If you would like to be considered for this teaching assistant opportunity, please send your application and if successful we will contact you with full information about the role and the school. Or feel free to call and ask to speak to one of our consultants.
I look forward to hearing from you!
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR VERITAS EDUCATION
- All applications are subject to an Enhanced DBS Disclosure, professional reference checks, Overseas Police Clearances (if applicable) in line with our stringent safeguarding policy
- Your CV must cover the last 10 years of employment history where possible and all employment breaks must be explained
- You must have legal right to work in the UK
- You must be willing to attend a registration interview
Veritas Education work with a variety of schools covering a wide geographical area. We deal with teaching placements at Primary, Secondary and college level as well as support staff positions also within these.
'Nothing within the above advert was in any way designed or intended to discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, race, colour, religion, disability or sexual orientation. Veritas Education is an Equal opportunities employer and is proud in the knowledge that all placements are made on merit and suitability. We accept applications from all sections of the community.'