At Houston Methodist, the Magnet Nursing Program Coordinator position cultivates a professional practice environment, by coordinating the Magnet process, assisting with document preparation, maintaining related databases, and supporting professional development. This position assists the Magnet Program Director in identifying nursing quality indicators, developmental needs, performance improvement and research initiatives and other activities that sustain and advance a culture of excellence. The Magnet Program Coordinator serves as an ambassador of the Magnet program employing a variety of communication strategies. This position collaborates with nurse leaders and staff using the ANCC Magnet framework of excellence to create and implement innovative staff engagement, systems and processes.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Implements communication strategies throughout the organization to ensure accurate information regarding program purpose, initiatives, improvement strategies, and outcomes. Manages dissemination of information around Magnet initiatives via e-mail, newsletter articles, hardcopy handbook and presentations. (EF)
- Serves as a resource in interpreting and integrating the Magnet standards, implementing a shared governance environment at the unit and hospital-wide level to ensure that the organization milieu reflects the internalization of the five components of the Magnet ModelR. (EF)
- Contributes to improving nurse satisfaction/engagement by serving as a role model in effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication, which includes active listening, and facilitating teamwork with RNs, as evidenced by the annual RN-RN teamwork score and interprofessional relationship score. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Assists with planning, developing and implementing all Magnet initiatives within documented timeframe(s) to ensure the goals of the program are met which includes overseeing and coordinating the Magnet application, document submission, site visit and/or re-designation processes. (EF)
- Provides consultative services as needed, which includes serving as Magnet advisor to nursing leadership and staff to drive program to successful outcomes. Supports development and adoption of standards for evidenced-based knowledge practice. Facilitates integration of Magnet recommendations into nursing practice and outcome achievement (EF)
- Develops informational/educational resources and reports on program for Management and front-line staff, providing education, and implementing strategies to respond to new program requirements and opportunities for improvement supported by external benchmarking. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Collaborates with key stakeholders to manage and monitor changes to databases responsive to nursing's needs, e.g. National Database for Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI), Magnet Recognition Program reports, demographic reports, and RN engagement surveys. Reviews changes related to the Magnet Recognition Program and facilitates integration within the hospital. (EF)
- Analyzes, synthesizes, and trends multi-year nurse engagement survey reports and supports action plans with recommendations for hospital-wide initiatives. Collaborates to ensure collection, correlation, analysis and generation of detailed reports and integrated quality data to Management and other key stakeholders regarding Magnet Recognition Program. (EF)
- Contributes to development of hospital standards and guidelines; implements and monitors Magnet program initiatives that improve readiness and compliance. Creates, customizes and manages databases responsive to nursing’s needs. (EF)
FINANCE - 5%
- Implements department strategies to achieve financial target, optimizing efficiency and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Implements change management strategies to ensure successful execution of Magnet program. Coordinates and evaluates programs to advance a culture of excellence, including special events, ongoing Magnet campaign and various communication strategies. (EF)
- Advances Houston Methodist’s external image to the public through external meeting attendance, publication and speaking engagements. Participates in hospital-wide committees as a designee of the Magnet Program Director. (EF)
- Assumes an active role in promoting professional and other work environment initiatives, e.g., engages and mentors nurses to advance publications and presentations. (EF)
- Attends workshops and other educational programs, to ensure awareness of current developments and trends in the Magnet program. Stays up-to-date with professional organizations standards and submit abstracts to national conferences. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited school of nursing
- Master's degree preferred
- Three years of experience in nursing and/or nursing leadership
- Two years prior experience with project/program management in a Magnet health care setting preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements.
- American Nursing Credentialing Center (ANCC)-recognized certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Demonstrates outstanding relationship skills to partner with key stakeholders to drive program success
- Maintains expertise in Magnet standards and active in identification of exemplars and collection of evidence, application development, writing and submission of all required documents
- Knowledge of Magnet standards and experience in a Magnet organization
- Strong organizational/project management and presentation skills
- Excellent critical synthesis and problem-solving skills
- Knowledgeable of adult learning principles
- Well versed in computer skills of the entire Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word)
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel** May require travel withinYes Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outsideYesof Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.