Under direction of Registered Nurse and medical orders of the Practitioner, provides direct and indirect nursing care in outpatient setting. In addition, orients and serves as a resource to LPN Clinic/Meds I as needed.
- Reviews and prepares medical records for assigned patients; initiates follow-up for medical record as requested; reviews patients needs; identifies and prepares orders for needs of patient for authorization by practitioner and may accept verbal orders per policy; observes, collects, and documents new information on patient; informs RN or practitioners regarding incomplete data, new observation or abnormal/unusual data.
- Implements basic nursing procedures per plan of care; administers treatments and medications as prescribed practitioner; performs point of care testing as authorized; provides laboratory, x-ray and other reports to practitioner for review; notifies patients of normal results as directed by practitioner; considers special needs of different age groups when providing care; sets priorities of care based on acuity of patients.
- Documents implementation of orders/interventions; records findings, instructions, and patient responses on appropriate forms or on-line records using department and/or JCAHO standards.
- Observes patients/familys responses to plan of care; reports unexpected responses to RN or practitioners; collaborates with RN to revise care plan when needed.
- Demonstrates and applies competency in basic nursing skills and use of equipment; maintains current knowledge and skills needed to perform position; attends and participates in staff meetings as needed; participates in projects as requested. In addition, coordinates projects as requested.
- Performs efficiently in emergency patient care/clinic situation; follows established procedures; informs appropriate persons.
- Assigns basic nursing tasks to unlicensed personnel as appropriate and according to department/unit standards; provides clear directions; acts as resource person to unlicensed staff; follows-up on assigned care to ensure it is given per standards, policies, procedures, protocols and guidelines.
- Follows discharge plan developed by Physician or RN; processes and/or follows-up with referrals as directed by practitioners; provides instruction and pre-printed information to patients as directed by RN and/or Practitioners, observes and documents patient/family response to instructions and reports any concerns.
- Provides educational materials to patients and reviews printed instructions with patients; collaborates with RN to revise teaching plan when needed.
- Participates in orientation of new personnel.
- Orients and serves as a resource to LPN Clinic/Meds II and unlicensed personnel as needed; demonstrates and instructs other team members in use of vendor specific products and /or department/unit standards and procedures.
- Demonstrates sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities in area of specialization.
- Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide care and/or service appropriate to age groups served.
- Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide culturally sensitive care and/or service.
- Performs other duties and accepts responsibility as assigned.
- Twelve (12) months (2080 hours) LPN experience.
- Hawaii State Board of Nursing approved curriculum for LPN licensure.
License, Certification, Registration
- Licensed Practical Nurse (Hawaii) required at hire
- Basic Life Support from American Heart Association
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in conflict resolution, customer service, interpersonal relations, oral communication, problem solving, teamwork, and written communication.
- Talking to co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone.
- Reading, writing, speaking and understanding English.
- Training/giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical ability, attention to detail (e.g., organization, prioritization, proofing), concentration and alertness.
- Acute care nursing experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in word processing and spreadsheet PC applications.