The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Nursing is seeking a Psychiatric Nursing Assistant to perform specific tasks to assist members of the Nursing team in providing patient care under the direct supervision of Registered Nurses.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Establish therapeutic relationships with patients, families and multi disciplinary team.
- Participates in planning patient care appropriate for patient's condition and age.
- Documents patient behavior in a factual, legible manner and identifies material to report to the registered nurse.
- Maintains patients’ safety and security by providing physical care and assistance; follows Standard precaution.
- Provides supervision of patients during activities.
Identifies potential crisis situations, reports to the registered nurse, and intervenes.
- Perform patient personal hygiene such as bathing, toileting, feeding, dressing, grooming and oral care for patients.
- Take temperature, pulse and blood pressure.
- Clean equipment, patient bedside area and nursing unit.
- Set up rooms for patient admission.
- Transport patients by bed, cart or wheelchair.
- Transport equipment, specimens and supplies.
- Stock and supply patient rooms and Nursing unit.
- Perform basic CPR as required.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
Aptitudes required in order to perform responsibilities:
- Work in an environment with conflicting demands and/or priorities and rushed and/or urgent timelines.
- Manage multiple assignments and provide quick reaction and immediate response to emergencies.
- Maintain attention to detail over extended period of time and continually be aware of variations in changing situations.
- Strong communication skills and a tolerance for an active work environment with potential for negative behavior.
- Work well with all levels and types of people.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics—recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States—is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: ChangingMedicine. Changing Lives.®
Geriatric Psychiatry (2 JPE):
John Pappajohn Pavillion (2 JPE) is a 14-bed inpatient unit dedicated to geriatric and adult psychiatric services. This unit patient population includes dementia, depression, anxiety, Parkinson’s, and Huntington’s. Services provided include medication management, assistance with daily activities, occupational therapy, recreational therapy, and electroconvulsive therapy.
Percent of Time: 50-70%
Schedule: 20 hours per week at 50% and 30 hours per week at 70%
Location: John Pappajohn Pavillion (JPP)
Rotations: Rotating days/shifts. every other weekend, rotating holidays
Merit Pay Plan: https://hr.uiowa.edu/pay/merit-plan
· Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
· Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- Ability to read, write and follow instructions.
- Experience defusing volatile situations
- Be a Certified Nursing Assistant
- Have strong written communication skills with experience providing customer service relations
- Previous patient care experience in a Mental Health setting is highly desired.
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days. For questions related to this posting, please contact Lindsey Fudge at Lindseyfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
Applicant selected for position, if external, must be available to attend a 2-3 week orientation session Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM.
- Classification Title: Psychiatric Nursing Asst I
- Appointment Type: Merit
- Schedule: Part-time
- Pay Level: 4
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Lindsey Fudge
- Contact Email: Lindseyemail@example.com
Equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the application or interview process may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services,(319) firstname.lastname@example.org . For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI Health care Leave & Disability Administration at319-356-7543.