Estimating Manager (Ground Investigation)
Building a sustainable tomorrow
An exciting and rare opportunity is presented for an Estimating Manager to join our industry leading Ground Investigation team. This is a senior appointment and will involve managing the estimating teams working out of our offices in either Glasgow, Godstone (Surrey), Nailsea (Somerset) and Warrington. Reporting to the Head of Preconstruction, you will manage and contribute to the preparation of properly considered cost estimates for review and submission.
In addition, you will liaise closely with the Regional GI Managers to develop and implement a successful work winning strategy to complement the business operational goals.
- Co-ordinate with the wider preconstruction team, ensure the correct resources are available and that the timescales will be met.
- Give direction and guidance to estimating staff.
- Liaise with clients, consultants, supply chain, stakeholders and other third parties.
- Supervise financial submission.
- Assume the supporting role of bid manager on higher value more complex tender bids as required, including input into the bid strategy.
- Co-ordinate with the technical team, commercial team and planner on all aspects relating to tender deliverables.
- Promoting the use of digital construction tools and processes.
- Contribute to developing and implementing the pricing strategy.
- Manage preparation and presentation of estimate in conjunction with bid manager to leadership team and directors at cost estimate review and settlement meeting.
- Contribute to collecting and distributing of feedback.
- Manage handover of tender estimating information to project team.
- Ensure Company and Group bid governance procedures are followed.
- Coach, mentor and develop staff including P&D reviews.
- Maintain awareness of latest GI and associated sampling / testing techniques.
- An interest in geo-instrumentation and monitoring and their applications in managing site conditions and sensitive assets, and providing useable data that adds value to the project.
- Manage effective working relationships in a collaborative environment, internally and externally.
- Provide support to the Head of Preconstruction, which may include review of tenders, opportunity pipeline planning, allocation of resources, staff development, succession, competency and retention.
- Support the pre-construction team in preparing quality tender submissions, liaising with bid teams to deliver innovative solutions.
- Carry out any other relevant duties from time to time.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced professional, ideally currently working in a similar role who can manage their own workload, help others, and be confident and comfortable around clients and consultants. We would also encourage and welcome applications from aspiring Senior Estimators with high potential looking to progress their career.
- Knowledge of the UK GI marketplace.
- Appreciation of quality tender submissions and PQQs.
- Good commercial acumen and an appreciation of NEC contracts.
- Experience in geo-instrumentation and monitoring would be an advantage.
- Significant experience in the planning and delivery of ground investigations including large-scale infrastructure projects.
- Technically adept as well as practically aware.
- Must demonstrate experience of leadership, financial management, commercial and business development.
- Should be willing to work throughout the UK and be able to regularly attend our offices in either Glasgow, Clevedon or Godstone (car / car allowance provided). In terms of location, we are flexible being a UK-wide business, but the role may also include travel to other regions on occasion.
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering or earth science based subject and / or significant practical and managerial experience in the planning and delivery of ground investigations including large-scale infrastructure projects.
- Chartered status desirable.
- Registered Ground Engineering Professional desirable.
Whats in it for you?
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes company car / allowance, matched pension contributions, private healthcare, life assurance, 26 days holiday, 2 wellbeing days and 1 volunteering day. In addition to an attractive salary and benefits package, we support further personal, professional, technical and leadership development.
BAM Nuttall is also committed to equality of opportunity in all its employment practices, and to developing policies that support work-life balance.