Job Description Summary
Responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of a wide range of equipment, including pumps, gas compressors, generators, motors, boilers, air conditioning systems, heat exchangers and refrigeration equipment, hot water generators and refrigeration machinery in addition to its associated auxiliary equipment (air compressors, natural gas compressors, electrical switchgear, pumps, etc).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for the operation, maintenance, renovation and repair of boiler systems and all other mechanical systems in a facility.
2. Perform work on boilers and steam systems; heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems; building automation systems; diesel engines, turbines, generators; pumps, piping and compressed gas systems; refrigeration and electrical systems and numerous other physical plant functions.
3. Start up, regulate, repair and shut down equipment. Ensure that equipment operates safely and economically and within established limits by monitoring attached meters, gauges, and computerized controls. We manually control equipment and make the necessary adjustments.
4. Use hand and power tools to perform repairs and maintenance ranging from a complete overhaul to replacing defective valves, gaskets, or bearings.
5. Record relevant events and facts concerning operation and maintenance in an equipment log.
6. Detect potential mechanical problems by observing and listening to the pitch of the machinery.
7. Routinely check safety devices, identifying and correcting any trouble that develops.
8. Perform routine maintenance, such as repairing and replacing pumps, motors and other operating equipment, lubricating moving parts, replacing filters, and removing soot and corrosion that can reduce operating efficiency.
9. Operate, maintain and repair all mechanical systems in a building, industrial power plant or engine room.
10. Develop a strong customer service-oriented relationship with client, employees and managers.
11. Solve client facilities-related problems.
12. Conduct day-to-day activities necessary to provide for the safety and comfort of facility
occupants and to protect the value and extend the life of the facility asset.
13. Maintain all facility interior and exterior components and improvements including electrical tamping outlets, appliances, cabinetry, doors, locks, plumbing pumps, parking lots, roofs and signage in their best and most cost-effective condition.
14. Report all equipment failures or contractor requirements to Facility Manger.
15. Execute preventive maintenance programs to protect the value and extend the life of all facility components and to provide for cost-effective operation.
16. Report needed repair beyond budget approval limit to the Facility Manager.
17. When scheduled, maintain on-call status, 24-hrs daily for immediate action pertaining to critical systems failure.
18. Obtain and follow updates for equipment maintenance improvement and upkeep.
19. Obtain and follow updates on all client, UGL Services, local, state and federal laws, rules, regulations, guidelines and ordinances.
20. Report all potential liability situations to Facility Manager.
21. Report all equipment failures to Facility Manager.
22. Maintain client or company-owned or leased vehicles, equipment and tools in safe, efficient and effective condition.
23. Report all emergency situations to client and UGL Services management.
24. Exhibit good personal grooming, including proper maintenance of company uniforms
25. Practice client security regulations and procedures.
26. Provide project supervision of subcontractors.
27. Assist in the recording and updating of project status reports
28. Assist in the soliciting proposals as necessary on-site.
NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / DUTIES:
1. Perform all assigned tasks in a safe, effective, and efficient manner.
2. Checks boilers and related machinery for proper operation, making necessary adjustments or repairs.
3. Keeps logs of boiler room operations, records data, e.g., fuel consumed, temperature and pressure, etc.
4. Installs, maintains and repairs laundry equipment, kitchen equipment and steam boilers, etc.
5. Installs, maintains and repairs heating, ventilation, air conditioning equipment (HVAC) and refrigeration units, etc.
6. Visually inspects equipment at periodic intervals.
7. Performs other related duties as required or requested.
8. Maintain assigned tools and equipment in clean, proper working condition; notify Supervisor in the event an assigned tool is found to be or becomes defective.
9. Ensure compliance with all company and customer policies, regulations, and procedures.
10. Effectively communicate in a positive, proactive manner with all team members, customer employees, and vendors; demonstrate a team and teamwork values.
11. Participate in the continuous improvement process.
12. Logging daily maintenance performance in detail
13. Preventative maintenance of equipment
14. Reporting to supervisor all deficiencies, material required and actual quantities used
15. Meet all physical requirements for this job (physical requirements are listed separately and provided prior to employment).
1. Education: High School Diploma or approved GED
2. Experience: Demonstrated mechanical aptitude acquired through previous job experience or vocational schooling. Includes a working knowledge of 4 or more of the following skills: use of hand and power tools, minor plumbing/pipefitting, minor welding, minor electrical work, minor carpentry work, blueprint reading, mathematics, grounds-keeping, industrial equipment operation.
3. A refrigerant recovery certification is desired, but not required.
4. If designated to a route a valid state motor vehicle driver's license is required. Must demonstrate that they operate a company vehicle in a safe manner.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, climb flights of stairs, work from elevated areas, and wear a respirator when required by the job. A full range of body motion is required, including handling and lifting, manual and finger dexterity, and eye-hand coordination sufficient to operate hand tools and industrial machinery such as a truck or forklift. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and to talk and hear.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; possible fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat and extreme cold, and to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is can be very loud