Head, Student Governance, Department of Student Affairs
DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
HEAD: STUDENT GOVERNANCE
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 6
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will play a significant role in coordinating and supporting the student governance system, and to ensure that it is in line with the strategic plan of the University. The incumbent will be responsible for the review and implementation of the student governance constitution, and its alignment with the sub council structures.
The successful candidate's responsibilities will include, but are not limited to
• Student governance:
• Managing the review and implementation of the student governance constitution, including student elections and the establishment of the sub-council committees;
• Working closely with the IEC, IMB, auditors and all relevant structures and individuals involved in the Student Representative election for both elective and ex-officio portfolios;
• Keep policies updated and develop new policies/regulations/guidelines with the guidance of the Director: Student Affairs;
• Administrative support:
• Managing and providing principal administrative support to the SRC and sub council committees;
• Intervening pro-actively to assist committees in resolving internal conflicts, overlaps and gaps in portfolio functions;
• Monitoring the performance of the SRC members, and offer constructive feedback by using the annual performance evaluation as a tool;
• Training programs:
• Facilitating the development and implementation of the student leadership curriculum;
• Arranging teambuilding camps, including training through virtual platforms;
• Identifying and maintaining a database of qualified external experts for consideration by the Director and the Vice Principal in the training of student leaders;
• Strategic events and projects:
• Managing and maintaining an interactive student life calendar;
• Coordinating and managing developmental projects and events;
• Supporting the integrated leadership training programme overseen by the VP: Student Life and implemented by the Departments of Student Affairs and Residence and Accommodation;
• Finance, budget planning and administration:
• Compiling a budget, cash flow document, and program schedules;
• Ensuring the utilization of the budget according to the plan, and compliance with all financial rules;
• Collaborating with Internal Audit Directorate in its evaluation of compliance to UP policies and regulations;
• Research and evaluation studies:
• Conducting research on the student life programs, and making recommendations for improvement;
• Identifying possible new programs related to the departmental focus and strategic plan;
• Management of the SRC structures:
• Supporting the SRC and its structures to ensure the stability of the University;
• Monitoring the developments and implementation of plans of action for individual portfolios in the SRC;
• Facilitating a healthy relationship between the Constitutional Tribunal, Faculty Houses, and other sub-councils;
• Executing duties assigned by the Director of Student Affairs and Vice Principal: Student Life.
• Relevant Master’s degree;
• Seven years’ experience in:
• Higher education as an academic, a professional service staff member that include a proven record of leadership in a management position and working with students and faculties;
• Working with students in the area of student development and advise;
• Leadership training and facilitation of workshops/seminars/colloquia.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES)
• Knowledge and/or interest in student governance structures;
• Policy development and implementation;
• Coordination of projects and events;
• Training and development;
• Financial processes;
• Applicable computer software packages;
• Exceptional writing skills;
• Research skills;
• Behavioural competencies:
• Good interpersonal skills;
• Ability to lead and manage teams;
• Good and accurate communication skills (written and spoken);
• Sensitivity to a diverse environment;
• Planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills;
• Ability to handle information with high confidentiality;
• Ability to manage staff challenges;
• Ability to work under pressure;
• Ability to conceptualise and formulate;
• Analytical skills;
• Ability to work independently;
• Facilitation skills;
• Negotiating skills;
• Conflict management skills;
• Organisational ability.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
• Doctoral degree;
• Three years’ experience in the effective use of technological skills to give effect to working in virtual platforms;
• A valid drivers’ licence.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
A comprehensive CV; Certified copies of qualifications; Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 06 May 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Lebo Jele, Tel: (012) 420 2221 or email@example.com for application-related enquiries, and Dr Willem Jorissen, firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 July 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions