ICAN has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination requirement for all staff. As part of your application, you will be asked to certify you are currently fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or willing to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 before starting work.
ICAN now offers new hires a $500 signing bonus after completion of a probationary period of 90 days.
The Job Coach provides direct support and care for clients with developmental and physical disabilities. They are responsible for ensuring clients are continually being supported towards the goal of independence in the workforce. Job Coaches work one-on-one with clients at their place of work and observe and coach clients in areas where they can improve and grow in their roles. Job Coaches are committed to providing stability in the clients work environment. This position supports and fosters client choice. Job Coaches report to the Job Coach Supervisor, with work schedules determined and set by the Job Coach Scheduler. This is an entry level position. Job Coaches must be flexible and dependable individuals.
Job Coach: Regular Job Coach hires can establish their availability around other commumtnets, but are required to maintain enough availability to ensure they can work 15 or more hours per week.
Weekend Job Coach: The weekend Job Coach is required to be availible for on-call shifts on Saturdays and Sundays between 8am and 8pm, with the option to pick up additional work shifts outside those hours and during the week as desired. There is a minimum of 10 hours of work per week, but can be maximized to 30+ hours with open weekday availability.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be eligible to work legally in the United States
- Must be fully vaccinated from Covid-19
- Must be able to consistently arrive on time and maintain regular attendance
- Must be able to multitask and work independently with clients
- Must be able to meet schedules and deadlines
- Must be an organized, flexible, detail-oriented, and dependable individual
- Must follow all the rules and regulations listed in ICAN’s Policy and Procedures Manual and ICAN’s Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Must be comfortable working with and directly caring for people with developmental disabilities, whether in a controlled environment or in the community
Education, Experience, and Knowledge:
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Six months experience working with people with disabilities preferred but not required
- Must have adequate typing skills
- Must be fluent in English and have basic English writing and grammar skills
- Bilingual in Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or ASL a plus
Licenses and Other Requirements:
- Must have the ability to pass tuberculosis skin test
- Submit to a fingerprint clearance through LiveScan before starting employment
- Must be CPR and First Aid certified or be willing to complete CPR and First Aid certification
- Must be CPI certified or willing to complete prevention-first training at hire
- Must have reliable transportation. If taking public transportation, must have the ability to travel to job sites and hiring locations in the South Bay, West Los Angeles, and/or greater Long Beach areas. If using a private vehicle, valid California Driver’s License or valid driver’s license from another state at the time of interview and throughout employment with a clean three year driving record. Willingness to submit to DMV background check and provide evidence of current auto registration and Sliability insurance.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling up to 70 pounds including pushing a wheelchair
- Working in indoor and outdoor environments, as well as traveling
The Job Coach must attend scheduled monthly training for approximately two hours as professional development outside of regular coaching shift hours. Meetings may be facilitated in person, via videoconference, or via on-demand videos.
- Reading client profiles prior to the start of the client’s shift, and contacting the client to confirm their shift is scheduled as expected
- Punching time cards at the beginning and end of shifts and breaks, and informing the Job Coach Scheduler of any issues
- Submitting case notes through the client records database at the end of each job coaching shift
- Informing the Job Coach Supervisor of any serious client behavior issues, incidents, performance concerns raised by their supervisor, or suspected abuse, immediately on the day the coach receives the information
- Maintaining visual contact with the clients at all times when working, except if on breaks or being coached remotely, and engaging with the client regularly throughout the shift
- Engaging in interactive conversations with clients that encourage opportunities for growth in developing and implementing their goals as noted in their client profile
- Discussing or demonstrating good work habits, communication skills, and safety procedures for clients to learn
- Discussing and reviewing the work environment and culture with the client, including interpersonal communication with supervisors and coworkers, as well as preventing or resolving conflicts
- Staying engaged with clients and only using cell phones for completing case notes or communication with supervisor or emergency personnel
- Identifying natural supports and fading techniques to foster client independence
- Advocating for clients with their supervisor to ensure the best quality of care for clients
- Discussing, demonstrating, or observing client job tasks to foster task skill development
- As needed, providing destination and travel training
- Maintaining a positive working relationship with clients, employers, and parents or guardians
- Assisting and guiding clients having difficulties in meeting employer standards
- Maintaining positive and cooperative working relationships with clients, guardians, coworkers, and ICAN staff and providing positive role modeling
South Bay: Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Gardena, Lawndale, Hawthorne, El Segundo, Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Carson
Long Beach: Long Beach, Signal Hill, Carson, Norwalk, Lakewood