The Darden School Foundation at the University of Virginia seeks a highly motivated Assistant Director, Donor Relations to support its Advancement team. The Assistant Director of Donor Relations reports to the Director of Donor Relations and works in collaboration with the Advancement team to provide best-in-class donor relations and stewardship in support of the Advancement team's goals. Responsibilities include coordinating acknowledgement of donors, executing recognition programs, communicating the impact of gifts, developing content for publications, and preparing communications on behalf of the institution, including customized stewardship and financial reports for high-level donors. This role collaborates with gift officers to design and develop strategic stewardship opportunities for annual and major donors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Provide high-touch communications, stewardship, and customer service to donors.
- Conduct research for and support the Director of Donor Relations in making decisions related to stewardship best practices, execution of donor benefits, naming opportunities, fund management and other projects related to achieving best-in-class donor relations.
- Collaborate with the Director of Donor Relations to develop, refine and execute a comprehensive stewardship plan for scholarship donors that centers personal connection, including:
- Improving processes, building efficiencies, and improving communication across the Enterprise to support scholarship stewardship
- Building connections between Donor Relations and scholarship recipients to boost buy-in to stewardship efforts
- Partnering with the Director of Donor relations to create a 24-month calendar of scholarship stewardship
- Brainstorming events, recognition opportunities, gifts, and communications strategies for scholarship stewardship
- Identify opportunities for, and drive execution of, special stewardship efforts for VIP and other donors.
- Create original customized stewardship programs for Darden's most generous benefactors. Participate in execution of donor benefits.
- Determine and propose opportunities for improved stewardship efficiencies and more effective, more personal donor communications.
- Work with donors, faculty members, and scholarship recipients to facilitate personal connections that build meaningful and lasting relationships.
- Collaborate with the Director of Donor Relations to track, approve, create, install, and recognize naming opportunities on Grounds, including in the new Hotel.
- Generate high quality acknowledgement letters for the Dean, the President of the Foundation, and Vice President of Advancement.
- Collaborate with the Director of Donor Relations to create annual, customized donor reports.
- Collaborate with the Advancement Communications team to execute periodic stewardship communications, via various messaging channels, which connect the Darden School with its top donors and supporters, including the creation of donor stewardship videos.
- Track stewardship touch points to keep a record of all Donor Relations projects and efforts.
- Maintain record of expenditures and invoices for the Donor Relations team. Make recommendations for prioritization of spending to support Director of Donor Relations in the development of the team's budget.
- Serve as the point person for the Donor Relations team's management of donor data integrity.
- Execute the gift agreement process with support from the Director of Donor Relations and Operations team
- Research issues for special projects, as needed.
- Support the Advancement team, as needed, in collaborating on execution and staffing of special events.
- Complete other duties, as assigned, ensuring their execution with the professionalism and caliber as customary for the Darden School of Business.
Successful candidates will have a proven track record that includes:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in one or more of the following: fundraising, development, volunteer management, alumni affairs, or engagement.
- Working knowledge of donor relations
- Experience working for a non-profit, foundation, or academic environment preferred
- Working knowledge of Advance, Raiser's Edge, or other fundraising database preferred
- Excellent written and oral communications skills required
- Ability to create targeted messaging, appealing to diverse audiences and interest groups
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with students, alumni, volunteers, staff, and the public
- Ability to analyze and present information and maintain accurate and detailed records
- Exceptional project planning skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Strong customer-service orientation
- Ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds, training, and experience
- Skilled in exercising a high degree of initiative, judgment, discretion, and decision-making to achieve organizational objectives
- Ability to provide direct support to leaders, as needed, and to complete tasks without immediate supervision.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a goal-oriented team environment
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Ability to understand and articulate Darden's educational mission, strategic aims, and programs
Please attach a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
The Darden School Foundation is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity or expression), national or ethnic origin, race, religion, pregnancy, veteran status, or genetic information. We participate in E-verify.
About Darden, the Darden School Foundation and Charlottesville, VA:
UVA's Darden Graduate School of Business delivers Degree Programs and Executive Education in its Charlottesville and Washington D.C. locations, as well as at client sites around the world. The Darden School Foundation is an independent, nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation established in 1952 with the mission of supporting and advancing the Darden School in its academic mission. The Darden School Foundation provides this support through promoting philanthropic support, managing endowment funds and other assets for the School's exclusive benefit, running Darden's top ranked Executive Education and Lifelong Learning programs, and operating the Inn at Darden, Darden Sands Family Grounds in Rosslyn, and Abbott Center in Charlottesville. An elected Board of Trustees oversees the Foundation's strategy and provides a critical link between the Foundation, School, and business communities.
The Darden School has been ranked the number one MBA education experience in the world by The Economist magazine for eight consecutive years, number one for campus environment and faculty by Princeton Review, and number one for alumni satisfaction with their MBA education by Forbes.
Nestled amid the foothills of the magnificent Blue Ridge Mountains and about a hundred miles South of Washington, D.C., the greater Charlottesville region offers a thriving community and vanguard of arts and culture that's both boldly innovative and grounded in rich tradition. Charlottesville consistently ranks as one of the top places in the country for quality of life and was recently named America's happiest city. A wonderful place to raise a family, Charlottesville and Albemarle County have schools that are consistently ranked top in Virginia.