Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Department: Vulnerable Children in Sub-Saharan Africa, Rural Health Care
Reports To: Program Directors
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (“Helmsley”) is a global philanthropy driven by a vision of a world where everyone has the resources they need to thrive by increasing access to healthcare, advancing new research and ideas, and improving people’s quality of life no matter where they call home. Helmsley strives to make a meaningful impact in its focus areas, matching its significant financial assets with a rigorous and results-oriented approach. Helmsley is committed to close and productive partnerships with its grantees, as well as with other funders and impact players in government, academia, and the private sector who share its interests and goals. Above all, Helmsley endeavors to be forward-thinking in every aspect of its work and will take risks that others cannot or will not take when the risk/reward trade-off warrants.
Since 2008, when Helmsley began its active grantmaking, it has committed more than $3 billion. For more information on Helmsley, please visit www.helmsleytrust.org.
Helmsley’s Rural Healthcare and Vulnerable Children in Sub-Saharan Africa program teams seek an Administrative Assistant to work with the Program Staff and Executive Assistant to support the program team and office operations. Responsibilities include managing phone calls, managing calendars, making travel arrangements, completing expense reports, and other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
• Make travel, hotel, and conference arrangements for Program Staff.
• Coordinate logistics for on-site meetings, including but not limited to scheduling, catering, technical support, and A/V needs.
• Complete and manage expense reports for Program Staff in coordination with the Executive Assistant.
• Screen calls and assure caller is directed to correct area/person.
• Sort and distribute incoming mail appropriately.
• Assist other staff members on an ad hoc basis during peak seasons and perform other duties as required.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• 2-3 years of combined administrative and clerical experience.
• Attention to detail and accuracy in executing transactions.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
• Strong grammar, writing, proofreading, and editing skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Concur.
• Familiarity with the nonprofit sectors is a plus.
Health, Well-being, and Living Our Mission
Helmsley is dedicated to creating stronger, healthier futures for communities in the U.S. and around the world. Our departments and grantmaking programs are comprised of subject matter experts from a range of backgrounds in basic science, global health, and precision medicine, as well as the private sector and public policy. Helmsley colleagues are intelligent, creative, forward thinking, and strongly committed to working productively with our grantee partners. Each was drawn to Helmsley by the same opportunity: to help build this young organization into a leading global charitable institution that will drive meaningful and measurable positive change in lives throughout the U.S. and around the world for years to come.
Comprehensive benefits currently offered to employees (subject to change) include:
• Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision for employees and their families
• Generous 401(k) employer contribution
• 23+ paid vacation and sick days
• 13+ paid holidays
• End of year office closure
• Summer Fridays
• Tuition reimbursement
• Personal and team professional development opportunities
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume (in Word or PDF format), via the link https://helmsleytrust.org/about/#careers-section.
The position is based at Helmsley’s South Dakota office in Sioux Falls. Only those
selected for an interview will be contacted. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Except for when working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ability to work and collaborate in person with colleagues at Helmsley’s office is an essential function of this job. To protect the health and safety of our employees, and consistent with Helmsley’s mandatory vaccination policy, all new hires (except those granted reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable law) are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before their start date.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Helmsley provides equal employment and promotional opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.