Associate General Counsel
Associate General Counsel ID:
Hybrid (Burlington, MA / Remote) Department:
Legal Job Type:
Exempt (salaried) Position Type:
More about this job >
FirstLight is a leading clean power producer and energy storage company with operating and development assets in New England (ISO NE), Pennsylvania and New Jersey (PJM), and New York (NYISO), with expansion to other regions actively underway. Our operating portfolio includes nearly 1.4 GW of pumped-hydro storage (including Northfield Mountain, the largest energy storage facility in New England), battery storage, conventional hydroelectric generation, and solar generation-the largest clean energy generation portfolio operating in New England today.
Our development pipeline includes over 1,000 MW of solar, battery and offshore wind projects in various stages of development, and we are developing a portfolio of hybrid hydro, solar and battery projects that combine operational and development assets. We have approximately 125 employees based in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania, and our corporate headquarters are located in Burlington, MA.
Our mission and vision is to accelerate the decarbonization of the electric grid by developing, owning, operating, and integrating large-scale renewable energy and storage assets to meet the world's growing clean energy needs and to deliver an electric system that is clean, reliable, affordable, and equitable.
Building upon our industry-leading experience in operating large-scale renewable energy and storage assets, FirstLight's vision and commitment to leading the energy industry transformation make us uniquely positioned to navigate rapidly evolving market conditions and grow our portfolio in North American markets in the years ahead.
FirstLight is seeking an Associate General Counsel to manage various aspects of the company's legal portfolio as we grow and expand. With this newly created position, FirstLight seeks an Associate General Counsel to strengthen, and bring greater efficiency to, its efforts to develop a more robust legal group. The ideal candidate will have a broad range of skills that supports deliverables across all legal functions.
The Associate General Counsel will report to the General Counsel and will work across FirstLight's business units including the Operations, Finance, Business Development, Government Relations, Communications and Commercial teams, among others, and must be able to forge partnerships with colleagues across the organization, as well as outside legal counsel.
The Associate General Counsel will be the second lawyer on FirstLight's legal team and will join a highly motivated and collaborative organization at a moment of transition for the company, as we aim to decarbonize the electric grid as fast as possible. The Associate General Counsel will work directly with company executive leadership, with an opportunity to grow professionally as the company expands. The company is therefore focused on finding candidates with the requisite experience, commitment and energy to be a key participant in FirstLight's evolution from large clean power IPP to a company that will design, create and deliver integrated clean energy solutions to meet tomorrow's needs.
Key Responsibilities Include
Core responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Providing general legal and business advice and assistance to key business units (e.g., finance, operations, commercial, business development, government relations, communications and human resources) in connection with day-to-day operations, contract interpretation and enforcement, and regulatory matters
- Negotiating and drafting complex commercial contracts, e.g., power purchase agreements, renewable energy certificate agreements, vendor/supplier agreements
- Ensuring contractual and regulatory compliance by suppliers, landowners and offtake customers
- Negotiating, drafting and managing intercompany agreements and complex credit and debt facilities across multiple corporate entities
- Managing Board and entity governance across the organization
- Assisting with employment/HR/labor issues and policies
- Work with senior team members on potential acquisition, expansion and investment opportunities
- Assisting with due diligence including reviewing data room materials and disclosure schedules
- Drafting and reviewing transaction documents, including NDAs, asset purchase agreements, stock/membership purchase agreements, merger agreements, joint venture agreements, partnership agreements, financing agreements
- Overseeing and drafting deliverables for closings and post-closing matters
- Working with all business units to ensure smooth integration of new business units and assets
Real Estate and Tax Matters
- Managing portfolio of 14,000+ acres of real estate
- Assisting with annual property tax filings, abatement filings, documents and processes
- Negotiating and drafting land management and land use contracts, licenses and settlements with outside parties
Operational and Other Business Matters
Qualifications / Skills Sought
- Assisting with various operational matters, including contract and policy review, drafting and implementation
- Developing, maintaining and updating forms for commercial documentation
- Assessing and improving business processes
- Managing outside legal counsel
- Overseeing federal, state and local regulatory matters, including filings with Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Federal Communications Commission, state and local environmental and public utility agencies
FirstLight requires candidates to have a law degree from an accredited U.S. law school and to be a member of the bar in at least one state, preferably Massachusetts. FirstLight seeks candidates with 3-5 years or greater of experience (at least 3 of which have been with a top tier law firm), working directly with operations, commercial, finance, and business development teams, as well as suppliers, customers, vendors and partners. Experience with energy markets, project development. project finance or FERC experience a plus.
Additional desired skills and qualifications include:
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
- Unwavering commitment to FirstLight's values (see below)
- Ability to identify practical solutions to complex problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Track record of developing strong working relationships based on trust and transparency
- Flexibility and organizational skills to manage numerous competing responsibilities of varying urgency and criticality within a fast-paced work environment
- Unyielding attention to detail while keeping an eye on the bigger picture
- Nimble and relaxed sense of humor
- Eagerness to join a growing, fast-paced, dynamic company
- Comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to build, experiment, and iterate when the path forward is undefined
- Drawn to renewable energy and determined to address climate issues and accelerate the clean energy transition
In an effort to protect the health and safety of our employees and the communities we serve, FirstLight will require all new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
. This is a necessary goal, as part of our efforts, to provide a safe and healthy workplace for our employees.
In reference to CDC guidance, individuals are considered fully vaccinated
- 2 Weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series (i.e., Pfizer-BionNTech or Moderna Vaccines); or
- 2 Weeks after a single-dose vaccine (i.e., Johnson & Johnson's Janssen Vaccine)
FirstLight provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, FirstLight complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
In addition, FirstLight values the following characteristics and behaviors in our team members:
Why Work for FirstLight?
- Respect: Showing respect for each other and the environment, fostering an inclusive and diverse team of employees, and providing a strong commitment to social responsibility
- Integrity: Exemplifying integrity in all business decisions highlighted through honesty, transparency, and trust.
- Safety: Providing a safe environment for our employees and for all visitors to our recreational facilities.
- Excellence: Continually striving to achieve the greatest level of operational excellence so that we produce the highest quality output and consistently deliver results.
- Innovation: Dedication to creating new market-leading solutions to stay ahead of unprecedented changes in the energy industry.
- Team: Creating an inspiring workplace that fosters open communication, collaboration, and accelerates personal growth. We seek to attract, retain, and develop the best talent in the industry to fuel our success. Diversity is a strategic advantage we need to cultivate.
We consider our employees to be FirstLight's most valuable resource and we strive to provide a challenging, collegial, and rewarding workplace. FirstLight embraces a company-wide commitment to recruit, develop and retain a dedicated, diverse, and engaged workforce that is motivated to be ever better both professionally and personally.
Joining the FirstLight team is an opportunity to experience a unique and exciting culture. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and Disability Insurance
- Health Savings Accounts & Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401(k) Program with Employer Matching
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Professional Development
- Annual Performance Incentive Plan
- Employee Referral Program
- Charitable Matching & Employer-Sponsored Volunteer Programs
- And so much more!
Join Our Team!
Want to learn more about FirstLight? Check us out below!
Diversity Jobs LinkedIn Our Website