SSI (U.S.) Inc. d/b/a Spencer Stuart
Spencer Stuart is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.Location
: ChicagoFull/Part Time
: Full timeReq ID
: R3019Position Summary
Spencer Stuart is investing in our approach to business development, with a focus on more effective client targeting, improving the quality and impact of our interactions with potential clients and creating more time for business development. As part of this effort, the firm is creating a new Client Development Team (CDT) focused on working closely with consulting teams to acquire, organize, analyze and create the knowledge that differentiates Spencer Stuart in the market.
The CDT's role is to be a trusted partner for the practices, facilitating the development of BD materials as a core competitive advantage that builds the firm's reputation as the preeminent global leadership advisory firm. The Client Development Senior Analyst (CDSA) will be a critical member of the CDT team.
The CDSA is responsible for producing insightful company, industry and/or functional analysis that differentiates Spencer Stuart in business development situations and helps to deepen the firm's client relationships. This includes building insight to support client pursuit strategies and deliverables, such as qualifications packages, RFPs and Get Smarts. The Senior Analyst is to provide 'hands on' business development and content creation support to the Practices and their members. Key Relationships
Client Development Manager
Other Key Relationships:
Client Development Team Leader - Americas
Consultants, Associates, Senior Associates, Executive Assistants,
Client Development Analysts (peers in the CDT), Client Development Managers, Practice ManagersKey Responsibilities
- Support the creation of business development content and insights for pitches, relationship building and strategic account planning.
- Use business research resources and Spencer Stuart's knowledge to develop "get smart" packages that go beyond "canned" content to provide an insightful understanding of the potential client's organization and industry. Synthesize information succinctly and clearly so that it is easily incorporated into client-ready documents.
- Surface cross-selling opportunities by researching key trigger points for Leadership Advisory Services. Integrate associated conversation starters into business development materials, where relevant.
- Assist in the creation of qualifications packs for new business development initiatives/pitches. Develop sophisticated and insightful presentation materials, in partnership with consultant teams, the CDT Leader, Client Development Managers and/or Practice Managers.
- Conduct analyses to develop insight about our clients, our competitors, how our processes produce better outcomes, what the best candidates/ leaders look like and how our placements perform.
- Share learnings from pitches and business development initiatives across the CDT team to ensure we are continuously refining and improving our processes, responsiveness and pitch effectiveness.
- Conduct research to support the creation of intellectual capital/value adding thought pieces for use by our CDT and delivery teams.
- Synthesize internal and external information to generate previously untapped insights/opportunities, giving Spencer Stuart a competitive edge in the marketplace
- Play key role in driving specific projects that support and advance CDT team initiatives.
The CDSA will be a client-service oriented business partner with a passion for research and delivering timely, high quality results. He/she will posess outstanding analytical and problem solving skills, with a track record of performing business research and impactfully presenting findings. The ideal candidate will be graceful under pressure, an excellent multitasker, and thrive in fast-paced enviornments where competing demands are the norm. Ideal ExperienceSome experience with qualitative and/or quantitative business research
Familiar with tools such as Factiva, Hoovers, OneSource and/or others is a plusHighly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Has delivered research-driven, client ready insights in a visual, impactful wayUndergraduate DegreeCritical Competencies
Plans, manages and drives own efforts in support of new business development as measured by timely completion of project tasks and feedback from project team members. The successful candidate will do this while handling multiple projects with competing deadlines, working with individuals who have differing styles, and managing challenging expectations by:
- Providing accurate, timely and insightful research about organizations, industries, functions and executives.
- Taking a strong sense of ownership over the research process, anticipating next steps and not waiting to be told what to do.
- Regularly reassessing priorities to align efforts where/when needed and proactively reprioritizing own workload to provide support across the team where/when needed.
- Committing to deadlines and communicating progress against them.
- Delivering on commitments on time or notifying as early as possible if problems occur or deadlines will slip.
Synthesizes research for business development and provides a succinct and accurate point of view as measured by quality, timeliness and impact to win/loss ratio. The successful candidate will do this while dealing with short timelines and limited information by:
- Listening and asking insightful questions.
- Leveraging knowledge of an industry/function/sector and appropriate resources to gather relevant information.
- Subjecting researched facts to extensive analysis and interpretation before drawing conclusions.
- Making inferential leaps in thinking to reach a solution despite incomplete or ambiguous information.
- Making decisions rapidly, despite the complexity of the issues or pressures involved.
- Using effective business writing skills to create succinct, client-ready analyses and documenting information in Firm databases.
- Distilling large volumes of complex data and canned reports into focused insights that help pitch teams win more engagements
Contributes to the efficiency and quality of teams in order to successfully meet project objectives as measured by Consultant, Associate and peer feedback while working with individuals who have differing styles by:
Other Personal Characteristics
- Listening and asking questions to clarify understanding and demonstrate knowledge.
- Considering the needs of colleagues and adapting own communication style accordingly.
- Setting expectations and clarifying tasks to avoid wasting time and resources.
- Offering to work outside areas of responsibility when needed.
- Raising issues early and finding solutions collaboratively.
- Being assertive in defense of conducted research and resulting findings.
- Remaining poised when under pressure or handling unexpected challenges.
- Proactively sharing information with those who would benefit while being discreet with confidential information.
Spencer Stuart is a proud equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to non-discrimination without regard to actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, immigration status, ancestry, age, marital status, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. All Spencer Stuart employees in the US must be vaccinated against COVID-19. We will provide reasonable accommodations for medical, disability or religious reasons or other legally required exemptions.
- Spoken and written fluency in English; additional regional languages a plus
- Excellent presentation, writing, PowerPoint and Excel skills
Please see job description