Instron is a global organization that designs, manufactures, sells and services materials testing systems. Our systems are trusted by 95% of the world's largest manufacturing companies to gather critical data, informing the design of materials and components. You will find that our established strength, commitment to our core values and team focus provides an engaging work environment and offers exceptional opportunities for personal and career development.
Instron is part of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a global Fortune 250 diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses.Job Description
We are looking for a Continuous Improvement & Manufacturing Engineering Manager to join our expanding team. This important leadership role straddles the line between R&D and Operations. The focus is on both continuous improvement of our existing product lines as well as driving operational excellence, leading a team of multi-disciplined engineers supporting new product launches, continuous improvements activities and support of the existing products in production. Specific responsibilities include:
- Support all released products and manage product design changes for the entire product life cycle (from launch through obsolescence).
- Assign resources to engineering projects and develop a system to evaluate the priority of projects.
- Ensure that new designs meet acceptable Design for Manufacturability (DFM), Testability (DFT), and Assembly (DFA) through close engagement with new product development teams.
- Manage pilot builds and provide feedback to the design teams that seek to improve the quality and reliability of new products.
- Establish and maintain the factory production layout using sound Lean manufacturing techniques.
- Develop, maintain, and improve production documentation, manufacturing equipment, and product testing methodology.
- Support Quality team with the customer escalation process to ensure that issues are resolved in an effective and timely manner.
The successful candidate will have a degree in a technical or scientific discipline, a passion for technology and continuous improvement, combined with engineering leadership experience (preferably with a capital equipment manufacturer). Additional requirements include:
- Structured Problem-Solving Expert. (8D, Critical Thinking, Fault Tree, 5 Why) Drive effective root cause and corrective action (RCCA) for any non-conforming material or products.
- Ability to work with supply chain team in a fast-paced environment to take necessary actions based on EOL notifications and components availability.
- Process driven with the ability to create and modify critical business processes to meet the ever-changing business needs.
- Lead continuous improvement activities with a focus on safety, quality, cost reduction, and efficiency.
- A positive attitude focused on understanding, anticipating, and responding to the needs of our customers, both internal and external to the department and organization.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed. Results oriented. Sets high goals for personal and team accomplishment.
- Strong coach with the ability to hire, develop and retain a diverse pipeline of great talent. Direct experience of managing and developing a team of highly capable employees.
- A global mindset. Must be culturally aware and be able to build constructive and effective relationships across the organization.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with the ability to present at all levels of the organization.
Take this opportunity to join a professional and successful team where you can make a significant impact immediately. Enjoy competitive compensation and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, paid parental leave, 401k (with match), and a generous tuition reimbursement program.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.