Blue Robotics specializes in designing and manufacturing underwater robotic components and remotely operated vehicles (ROVs). Our mission is to enable the future of underwater exploration by providing high-performing marine robotics components at an accessible price point. We started in a garage and weve grown to a team of over 50 people dedicated to manufacturing, supply chain, product design, software development, sales, marketing, and support.
Weve learned how to handle accounting and financial management along the way, and weve done a pretty good job, but now were looking for someone who can take us to the next level. You wont be coming into a well-established system here instead, youll be an integral part of helping us to build one. As Controller, youll oversee our day-to-day accounting, prepare our financial statements, help us get better at budgeting, build better safeguards and procedures, and mentor our existing accounting team members.
To do your job effectively, youll have to coordinate and communicate well with our awesome team of people, who work from our office in Torrance, CA and from remote locations around the world. Youll have to balance the day-to-day of closing the books with long-term improvement projects. Youll have to draw from your past experience to help us be a better company.
Our ideal candidate for this position is someone whos a self-starter, someone who brings accounting and operational experience that we dont have, and someone who loves to make systems and processes better.
Behind our mission of enabling ocean exploration and serving our customers is a goal to build a long-lasting company that is a great place to work. In this role, you will have a critical impact on that goal and were looking for someone who can help us foster a friendly, open culture that strives for quality and constant improvement.
This position can be fully remote, but we also welcome you to work from our office if you prefer.
- Provide comprehensive financial updates to our team to help us make good decisions
- Develop, implement, and maintain financial controls and guidelines
- Guide financial decisions and assist with budget development
- Help develop and support day-to-day processes and procedures
- Coordinating and preparing internal and external financial statements through our Odoo ERP system
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs and both team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures
- Establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, and reporting on a monthly and annual basis
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation
- Interface with and provide data to consultants dealing with taxes, tax credits, and customs drawback
- Manage sales tax compliance and work with our sales team to collect tax in appropriate locations
- Act as the interface to our banking partners and credit card processing partners
- Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow
- Oversee and support our accounting team with leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity
- Bachelors degree in business, accounting, or related field
- 6+ years proven accounting experience
- Working knowledge of finance law and regulatory standards (GAAP)
- Professional accounting certification, including CPA, CMA, CGA, or CA
- Strong understanding of economic and banking processes
- Strong accounting software skills
- Public accounting experience preferred
- Knowledge of Odoo ERP system is preferred
- Experience in a manufacturing environment is preferred
Benefits for FT Employees:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Employer funded Basic Life and AD&D coverage
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan with 4% matching
- Flexible vacation hours and paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Educational Reimbursement Program
- Paid parental leave
- Plenty of parking
- Team lunches and other fun events