At Sainsburys, we believe that our customers and colleagues should be at the heart of everything we do, which is why weve put them at the centre of our vision, to help our customers eat better, and to make Sainsburys a place colleagues love to work.
Within Experience Design, were responsible for driving that vision, working with a variety of talented experts to create beautiful experiences across all of our brands, from Sainsburys Groceries, to Argos, Habitat and Tu. Were extremely agile, working seamlessly with other teams and using data to empower every decision we make, following a test and learn approach to problem solving to ensure we deliver fantastic experiences for our customers that add real value, at pace.
Not only that, but were on a mission to change the way customers shop with us, both digitally and physically, by creating relevant and inspiring experiences that keep customers coming back again and again. Youll be a key part of making that a reality, identifying ways that we can use the huge amount of data we have to deliver world class experiences for every single person who shops with us.
Why join us?
We know that great experiences arent created by accident. Thats why weve built a large, diverse and inclusive team. It may be surprising but there are 80 of us. From UX to service designers. Copywriters to researchers and accessibility specialists. Together, we craft exceptional products and services. We make things better, and were respected across the group for the impact we have.
Did we mention that were an award-winning team? At the Grocer Gold Awards 2021, we won E-commerce Initiative of the Year. Our work helped elderly, vulnerable and disabled customers through the pandemic. It gave them priority access to home delivery slots. We also won Technology Initiative of the Year.
What we offer:
- A mix of home and office working
- Flexible hours
- Colleague discount at Sainsbury's, Argos and Habitat
- Bonus scheme
- Holiday allowance
- Pension plan
- Special offers on gyms, restaurants, holidays, vouchers and more
About this role
You'll be responsible for creating the best ever experiences for our customers, working closely with designers, developers, product managers and data teams to build a shared vision, and then delivering against this in a pragmatic way. Youll lead your work and the changes you make will impact one of the UKs largest retailers.
You should have a strong UX and UI background, able to research and understand how various systems work together, then use your design skills to create beautiful UI and prototypes that effectively communicate how we can bring this to life for our customers.
You'll approach things in a balanced way, considering outcomes, design principles, analytics, customer insight and business requirements. You'll be thinking how designs can be translated across all channels, and for all users. Along the way, you'll confidently present and document your designs. And as part of the wider CX team, you'll proactively share your journey and learnings with others.
What you need to do
- Develop imaginative and creative concepts for Sainsbury's group digital products, services and propositions
- Working in scrum with a multi-disciplined team of designers, developers and product owners, create customer-centric design concepts that are validated through user research and testing
- Use a range of inputs, including interaction, brand principles, analytics, customer feedback, usability testing, technology and business requirements to develop informed and logical solutions
- With support of your product team and Design Lead, consider the wider Sainsbury's digital ecosystem and CX strategy when designing to ensure we are creating joined-up experiences
- Design in line with and contribute to Sainsbury's design system and style guide
- Undertake elements of research and user testing and interpret results to inform design solutions
- Work with a cross-functional team to deliver designs, user flows and journeys
- Clearly communicate your ideas and rationale to stakeholders and product teams alike
What you need to know
- Proven experience as a UX, UI or product designer working on digital products and services
- A conceptual approach and an eye for detail
- Experience working in an agile environment alongside designers and developers
- Understanding of designing using Adobe, Sketch, Figma and prototyping with tools like InVision
- Experience with interpreting insights from user research and keen to learn more
- Experience of responsive design
- Experience of user testing and usability testing
What you need to show
- Knowledge of how to design inclusively
- Expertise designing and prototyping with tools such as Figma
- Capable of conducting research and interpreting results
- Influence and negotiation skills
- Adaptable to changing priorities, complexity and unknowns
- Confidence challenging your peers and stakeholders
- Taking the initiative and driving change
- Tailoring your approach for different audiences
Our interview process is simple. Well review your CV and portfolio before inviting you to interview. We have 2 interviews. The first is between 45-60 mins; its a chance for us to learn about each other. The second is around 1 hour 30 minutes. Youll present a project and talk through your process. Well then ask behaviour and competency questions.
Read our Medium post for tips and guidance on what we look for in portfolios: