Airdrie CAB was formed in 1971 and became a Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee in 1995. It is a member of the nationally recognised brand of Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) and has continued to develop in response to the needs of the residents of Airdrie, North Lanarkshire and surrounding areas. The organisation is a member of the umbrella body Citizens Advice Scotland that provides guidance and support to all Citizens Advice Bureau in Scotland (CAS).
Airdrie CAB is well placed to recognise trends and identify particular needs and lack of services for specific groups. Enquiries are across a wide range of fields, and clients expect high-quality advice and assistance (including representation at tribunals and in Court when appropriate) on what are, at times, highly complex matters.
The main enquiries at present relate to problems with welfare benefits, money and debt, housing, employment, utilities and relationship.
Due to ongoing expansion, Airdrie CAB is looking to recruit a pro-active Pension Wise Guidance Specialist to join their team.
The Pension Wise Guidance Specialist will provide accurate and relevant information and guidance to people either over the telephone or in a face-to-face setting, helping them to understand their pension options & the full implications of each.
- Provide information and guidance to members of the public, in line with the Pension Wise service standards.
- Using the skills appropriate to the role, help consumers to understand the full implications of their pension choices
- Raise consumer awareness of pension scams and fraud and to encourage and assist consumers to report them to the relevant authorities.
- Respond proactively and flexibly to consumer demand, working to agreed service delivery standards.
- Provide timely and accurate follow-up information that is clear and understandable.
- Contribute towards shared best practice within their organisation and across the Citizens Advice network.
- Ensure that all work conforms to the Pension Wise quality standards, including undertaking peer-to-peer observations for quality assurance purposes, where applicable.
- Ensure that any required management information is both captured and reported on a timely basis.
- Complete training, continuous professional development and other requirements to gain and maintain accreditation.
- In addition, you may be required to carry out ad-hoc projects to improve the service we provide, attend meetings or workshops and support promotional activity for the service, within the scope of the role.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Good foundation knowledge of pensions products, law, practice and products, gained in a pensions technical role.
- Numerical skills to understand and translate complex financial matters.
- An understanding and appreciation of wider retirement issues.
- Ability in financial management and an understanding of the issues consumers face in trying to manage their money.
- Ability to translate complex ideas and topics into clear, concise, and engaging content.
- Strong questioning skills and the ability to get to understand key client issues whilst maintaining structure and control during the course of a client interview.
- Ability to identify connecting advice issues and assess an individuals ability to act.
- Effective communication skills. The ability to build a rapport, communicate confidently, sensitively, and professionally, using appropriate oral and written techniques.
- Proven ability to work on own initiative to monitor and maintain own standards and meet qualitative and quantitative targets for service delivery using proven organisational and time management skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Understanding of and commitment to the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice service.
- A commitment to on-going personal and professional development; you will be required to undertake training within the scope of the role.
- Understanding and commitment to the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice Scotland network in which equality and diversity is embedded throughout.
- Awareness that Citizens Advice clients are at the heart of everything we do.
- Ability to work a flexible working pattern around 8am to 8pm telephone delivery hours and Saturday working (8am to 5pm).
- Proven ability to use IT packages.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- APMI or CII qualifications or equivalent in related areas would be of benefit.
- Willingness to travel, possibly involving overnight stays, and working outside of core hours including evening and weekend working.
- Access to own transport may be required
Airdrie Citizens Advice Bureau offers excellent terms and conditions and is an inclusive employer considering flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
This is an excellent opportunity for ambitious individual looking to enhance their skills and develop their experience by taking on new projects and challenges within an expanding and evolving organisation.
If you're looking for a rewarding career that has teamwork and a long-term scope please apply by submitting your CV and cover letter for consideration.