Patient Benefit Coordinator I
The Patient Benefit Coordinator (PBC) is responsible for assisting patients and/or families access financial resources, as well as, assist with various hospital, state or federal assistance programs, in addition to, communicating and advising patients on insurance benefits, Social Security/State Medicaid policy (Blue Book; DCF policy), creating procedure estimates, explaining financial liability, collecting payments and negotiating payment arrangements. The PBC will act as an advocate between billing department, clinic department, state and federal agency and will obtain legally relevant medical evidence, physician statements and all other documentation required for eligibility determination. The PBC also communicates with outside facilities (i.e., Nursing homes), physician offices and other departments to ensure financial clearance has been secured on admitting and discharge.
- Require two (2) years of experience in the insurance industry (private or government sponsored).
- Prefer previous experience with filing Public Assistance Applications (i.e. Medicaid) and /or with DCF.
- Prefer interviewing and/or collections experience.
- Prefer demonstrated ability to make independent decisions and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Prefer demonstrated communication skills and ability to handle difficult situations.
- Prefer an understanding of current regulatory guidelines.
- Prefer demonstrated knowledge of healthcare terminology.
- Prefer superior organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet frequent deadlines
- Prefer demonstrated ability to cultivate partnerships and positive relationships with other providers and community participants
HS EQ: High School Diploma, GED or Certificate
Required License and Certs
Preferred License and Certs
CHAA: Certified Health Access Assoc