US-WI-Merrill | US-PA-Mechanicsburg | US-WI-Milwaukee | US-WI-Madison | US-CO-Greenwood Village
**This is a hybrid position and offers the opportunity to work 50% of time remotely and 50% of time in the office.
Acquire knowledge of the property/casualty industry and underwriting operations. Utilize abilities to analyze, evaluate, make, and document decisions to achieve profitable underwriting results. Learn to recognize exposures to loss, identify coverage alternatives, develop risk management recommendations, and adequately price to an expected profitability level. Primarily handle account renewals and may be assigned the underwriting of prospective new accounts of a noncomplex nature. Binding authority will be established based upon demonstrated level of underwriting knowledge and experience.
Within established binding authority and in compliance with filings, effectively write and retain profitable business to meet company objectives.
- Using various sources of information, analyze, evaluate, make, and document decisions to achieve profitable underwriting results on transactions as cited in established binding authority. Recognize exposures to loss, identify coverage alternatives, develop risk management recommendations, and adequately price to an expected profitable level. Negotiate solutions, keeping the customer in mind. Decline/nonrenew business not meeting underwriting standards.
- Communicate with all customers professionally, respectfully, and timely.
- Communicate with supervisor on issues exceeding binding authority and through monthly letters on territory issues.
- Develop and maintain an effective business relationship with the sales force. Answer questions within abilities and authority; research, gather, and disseminate information to help service customers; and offer suggestions on options and alternative approaches to coverage, pricing, and risk management.
- Develop and expand underwriting knowledge through an awareness of changes within underwriting territory, understanding Church Mutual and insurance industry coverages and policy forms and understanding religions, religious organizations, and operations specific to our niche. Professional knowledge development using external and internal opportunities.
- Actively look for opportunities and recommend efficiencies to improve underwriting performance and processes. Recognize and promote change in a positive manner.
- Focus to meet customer expectations through meeting department timeliness expectations, assisting in territories as needed, and positive interactions with all customers (including Sales, Technical Support, and other departments).
- Bachelor's degree is strongly preferred. Equivalent education and/or work experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Prior work experience in the property/casualty insurance industry is preferred.
- Ability to learn, retain, and apply insurance principles.
- Ability to identify and analyze exposures, recognize areas of concern, and develop appropriate solutions.
- Ability to make decisions outside parameter-based situations but within binding authority.
- Ability to explain decisions to others and negotiate appropriate solutions.
- Solid organizational skills.
- Desire and commitment to learn, accept new challenges, and strive for personal improvement/growth.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships throughout the company.
- Ability to effectively communicate with others.
- Ability to learn Church Mutual computer systems and stay current with changes.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Responsible, dedicated behavior to accomplish workload expectations.
- Maintain a customer-focused attitude.
- Recognize and be receptive to change opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
Church Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.