Position Title: Public Information Officer
Grade/Classification: 3 -Professional
FLSA Status: Exempt
Last Revised: March 25, 2022
The Public Information Officer (PIO) manages DASNY's media relations and develops and prepares communications in a variety of formats for the press, the public, DASNY employees, DASNY clients and stakeholders, and others. As official spokesperson for DASNY and DASNY's president and CEO, the Public Information Officer responds to inquiries from the press and public and serves as a primary contact with the Governor's communications office. In addition, the PIO supports initiatives to market DASNY services to potential clients and supports campaigns to engage DASNY staff.
- Prepare press releases, reports, quotes and other communications for the President and the DASNY Board relating to DASNY programs and policies.
- Serve as the representative to the news media for the organization, as well as for the president, board chair and staff.
- Design and implement public information programs to inform the press and the public of the local and statewide impacts of DASNY programs.
- Manage DASNY's social media presence and strategies.
- Work with program and technical staff to manage DASNY's web presence and develop procedures to ensure the DASNY website is always current, updated, and designed to provide the maximum benefit possible.
- Draft speeches and presentations for the President and senior staff.
- Advise DASNY officials of the public relations impacts of DASNY's programs and policies.
- Write materials for DASNY's annual report and assist with the management of the design and production.
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations to be used in presentations given by senior staff.
- Assist with design and implementation of outreach and marketing campaigns presented to client and interest groups.
- Assist in managing daily production of news clips to be distributed to Senior Management.
- Serve as liaison to the Governor's Press Office.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the development, documentation, and implementation of procedures.
- Assist with the assessment/development and implementation of internal controls and participate in the review and testing of same.
- Undertake special assignments as directed.
- Must maintain regular attendance in accordance with DASNY attendance and leave policies.
- Must adhere to the NYS Information Security Policy Standards established and issued by the Office of Cyber Security and Critical Infrastructure Coordination. (Standards can be found on the Intranet).
Supervision of employees may be required.
Requires occasional travel using public transportation, rental vehicle, DASNY vehicle or personal vehicle. This travel may include overnight stays at public accommodations and related establishments. Requires complex and time pressured decision-making. Requires ability to hear and operate a motor vehicle. Must be able to work overtime or extended work hours as needed.
Standard office environment.
Bachelor's degree plus at least three years' experience in media, public relations, communications, or related fields.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Understanding of and fluency with social media and the internet.
- Demonstrated ability to research and respond to media inquiries in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated judgment and discretion in matters of confidentiality.
- Proficiency in PC applications such as Outlook, Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint.
Licenses & Certifications