Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS' relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS intervention in the South of Madagascar is complex in nature and continues to expand. The Head of the Southern Zone will provide overall leadership to the Southern Operations in three sub offices in Madagascar (Beloha, Tsihombe and Tulear). The HoSZ will also ensure the development and effective management of operational systems and resources and the delivery of high-quality programming in coordination with the CRS main office in Antananarivo. This position will ensure the overall oversight of systems including procurement, HR, fleet, ICT, finance, safeguarding, compliance, and risk management, including safety & security as well as program coordination. You will promote stewardship of resources, help ensure principled compliance, proactively identify risk issues, and under supervision lead operational improvements. You are responsible for support of Heads of Sub offices and program staff to ensure that project results are achieved on time and on budget. As a senior leader, you will proactively manage security and mitigate safety & security risks, as well as risks stemming from corruption, fraud and/or safeguarding.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Manage planning and implementation of all key activities at the zone level ensuring alignment with Country Program (CP) and agency strategic programming and operations excellence priorities and standards. Approve expenses, monitor spending, and make budget adjustments in line with operational and programmatic needs and donor requirements.
- Serve as the security focal point. Proactively manage security and mitigate security risks. Ensure a safe work and living environment through leading implementation of safety and security protocols and staff care and well-being best practices.
- Represent and Advocate to senior leadership in Antananarivo for needed resources in the zone.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports. Monitor and assess performance to ensure adequate capacity. Contribute to staffing plans and recruitment process of senior staff.
- As the primary representative of CRS in the South of Madagascar, strengthen existing and develop new relationships with local partners, government and community organizations.
- Proactively and effectively manage resources and promote stewardship, ensuring program and operations teams and partner staff have and optimize the appropriate human, financial, and material resources and tools.
- Ensure high-quality project implementation, management, and compliance with programmatic standards, policies and procedures through project review systems and quality control (comprehensive M&E systems, budget review and analysis). Promote documentation of program reviews, success stories, and lessons learned
- Monitor day-to-day operations to ensure all operational services (HR, Finance, Supply Chain, Admin, ICT) are delivered with high quality in an efficient manner and adhere to policies. Manage risk and address challenges that affect the proper stewardship, optimal utilization and maintenance of program assets and resources (financial, human, and material).
- Create and maintain the proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for the sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to small deficiencies. Identify capacity strengthening needs for staff and partners and coordinate with CRS Madagascar program and operations teams to address capacity strengthening.
- Ensure an environment that prevents issues of corruption, fraud and safeguarding.
- Ensures a healthy work environment, by supporting staff to be supportive supervisors, and ensuring a strong orientation system is in place.
- Support the team to increase efficiency in procurement, financial processes as well as fleet and ensure optimal utilization and maintenance of program assets and resources (financial, human, and material).
Required Languages - English and French
Travel - Up to 35%
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Able to live in an environment where everyday comforts may not be readily available.
- Experience working with projects funded by multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Experience in stakeholder management and establishing and strengthening community partnerships.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Knowledge of procurement and general office administrative/management issues
- Prior experience working in Madagascar and/or the SARO region, preferred
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information management systems.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Head of Sub offices in Tsihombe, Beloha and Tulear
Key Working Relationships:
CR, HoP, HoOps, COP DFSA, HoO, Procurement team, Transport team, Administration team, department managers. Regional SARO team, HRD team
Local Government officials, USAID, Church leadership, vendors
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, International Relations, or relevant field required. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in a non-profit, development, and/or humanitarian organization with progressive responsibilities and some project management experience. Experience with an international organization a plus.
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience, including performance evaluation, coaching and mentoring.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people - especially children and vulnerable adults - to live free from abuse and harm.
CRS welcomes candidates from the countries and regions in which we work. In the event the successful candidate is an expatriate or global telecommuter, the anticipated duration of the assignment is informed by a term limit, based on the type and level of the job and the needs of the agency.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Primary Location: HQ-US-MarylandOther Locations: SARO-MadagascarJob: Field LeadershipOrganization: Catholic Relief ServicesSchedule: RegularShift: StandardJob Type: Full-time Day JobTravel: Yes, 25 % of the TimeJob Posting: Aug 31, 2021, 7:03:20 PM