Sorry, this job is no longer available.(Loading More Opportunities)
Patient Care Associate - Surgery (Med/Surg)
Provides direct care as assigned for a designated group of patients. Performs functions requiring skill and competence such as, but not limited to phlebotomy, EKG, obtaining specimens and cultures, activities of daily living, simple wound dressings and vital signs. Shares accountability for quality patient outcomes.
- Assists with the unit's admission and discharge processes.
- Establishes good interpersonal relationships with families/visitors and hospital staff.
- Reports vital information to all levels of the healthcare team, as needed.
- Conveys needed information to patients and visitors.
- Maintains good communication with co-workers for proper team functioning.
- Communicates pertinent patient observations to members of the health care team.
- Performs direct patient care as assigned for designated group of patients.
- Obtains and documents patient vital signs (temperature, blood pressure, respirations, pulse, weight, and height) using appropriate equipment.
- Apprises the Registered Nurse and health care team of any observed significant changes in the patient's condition.
- Communicates written and verbal information.
- Responds to patient requests and/or call light.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients and families in accordance with hospital standards.
- Functions in an emergency situation as a team member with guidance from supervisory personnel.
- Assists with restrained patients according to established policy.
- Performs grade I and II decubitus care, as directed.
- Performs activities of daily living appropriate to patient's condition.
- Uses proper body mechanics, obtains help and/or uses appropriate equipment when lifting, moving or transferring patients from bed to chair, putting them on stretchers and assisting them into wheelchairs.
- Performs delegated patient care procedures.
- Obtains and labels specimens, and performs certain diagnostic tests consistent with established procedures, as directed.
- Performs phlebotomy procedures.
- Performs telemetry and electrocardiograms, as directed.
- Uses clinical knowledge in the care and management of patients based on diagnoses and the unit assigned.
- Performs related duties as required. All responsibilities noted here are considered essential functions of the job under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Duties not mentioned here, but considered related are not essential functions.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- 1-3 years of relevant experience, required.