Summary: Oversees the Institute’s accounting, cash management, and financial reporting functions, ensuring comprehensive internal controls and effective financial stewardship by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate staff:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Is responsible for the Institute’s financial systems of record, tracking, reporting systems and accurate and timely accounting and financial services, ensuring adherence to sound accounting principles and financial reporting standards. Provides guidance, support tools, and documentation to help units across campus manage financial related processes.
- Oversees financial management, general accounting, accounts payable, and investment accounting activities
- Responsible for cash custody and management, banking relationships, reporting on cash flows, and cash flow projections
- Establishes and maintains comprehensive internal controls designed to mitigate risk, protect assets and support the financial infrastructure of the Institute. Designs internal controls that provide assurance in achieving specified objectives in: 1) effectiveness and efficiency of operations, 2) compliance with laws and regulations, and 3) reliability of financial reporting.
- Serves as custodian and day-to-day management of endowment fund flow, in coordination with the Institute’s Outsourced Chief Investment Officer
- Interfaces with other campus leadership to ensure effective coordination and communication between the finance office and campus budget managers/administrators to exchange ideas, achieve consistent and transparent financial processes, and design reports and tools for effective fiscal management
- Works in conjunction with the Vice President for Finance to create and manage the Institute’s annual budget, capital budget, financial projections, and related reports to senior management and the Board of Trustees
- Prepares financial reporting packages for the Board of Trustees on a quarterly basis, to be reviewed by the Vice President for Finance. Works with Vice President for Finance to update and enhance Board reporting processes and deliverables.
- Maintains and coordinates accounting software systems and oversees continued new development of accounting applications
- Organizes, prepares and executes annual financial and A-133 audits and the Institute’s tax reporting, as well as all benefit plan audits and tax reporting in conjunction with the Director of Human Resources
- Coordinates with the Director of Administrative Services and other campus personnel to manage procurement practices; develops proposed procurement policy, in conjunction with the Vice President for Finance
- Serves as a resource to the Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises all accounting and accounts payable staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certified Public Accountant Licensure (CPA) required
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration required; five to seven years of significant relevant experience in accounting and financial management required, preferably in a private college or university setting; master’s degree in relevant field preferred, or equivalent additional experience; demonstrated supervisory and technological expertise; practical (fund) accounting experience; a demonstrated service oriented attitude with sound knowledge of accounting and management principles and analytical ability.
Applications: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Only online applications/resumes will be accepted at: https://jobs.rose-hulman.edu. Please contact Human Resources at 812-877-8153 for questions. EEO/AA