WHO IS USA LACROSSE
USA Lacrosse, a non-profit organization, is the governing body of men's and women's lacrosse in the United States, leading the U.S. National Teams Program and establishing universal standards. With nearly 400,000 members, we provide national leadership, structure, and resources to fuel and unify the sport's growth and enrich the experience of its players, coaches, officials, parents, and program leaders.
USA Lacrosse believes a diverse staff best positions our organization to fulfill its mission. We strive to attract and maintain a team of talented and dedicated professionals who reflect the diverse nature of our membership and the national lacrosse community. We are committed to a staff culture that ensures everyone feels welcomed, valued, and included.
The Manager, Events works collaboratively with the Director, Events and is responsible for conceptualizing, creating, planning, and implementing USA Lacrosse's (USAL) events to help drive the Mission and goals of the organization. In this critical role, this individual will partner with the Events team, specifically the Senior Director, Events and Operations and Senior Manager, Events on various projects to execute on conceptualized ideas, participate in public relations related activities, including public speaking, participate in committee meetings, be the volunteer and staff liaison, manage information, and provide financial management (i.e., budget management). In this hands-on role, the Manager, Events will also manage all event design, preparation, coordination, sponsorship fulfillment, and operational logistics for each assigned event, internal or external. The Manager, Events will maintain a pulse on all events and plays a critical role on the Events team.
If you are someone who is organized, detail oriented, and enjoys "getting in the weeds" and "rolling up your sleeves" to see creative ideas turn into reality, this is an excellent opportunity for you!
A Typical Day Looks Like...
Event Planning & Strategy
- Works with Events team on the strategy, planning, and implementation of all USAL events; including cross functional business operations support.
- Develops event schedule and agenda in collaboration with key stakeholders to build alignment with initiative roadmaps, brand outreach/messaging, business priorities, and executive vision.
- Manages RFPs for events to be used as benchmarks for soliciting host bids for each event.
- Collaborates with internal teams to develop immersive and innovative event strategies and experiences to align with USAL's overall organizational goals and brand strategies. This includes regulating and standardizing processes to cultivate consistent vendor relationships to deliver a brand-conscious streamlined product.
- Works with cross-functional/departmental teams and the Director, Events to ensure positioning, brand messaging, goals, deliverables, and tactics are achieved before, during, and after each USAL event.
- Works with the Foundation department to develop strategies and encourage the integration of fundraising opportunities within our events, as well as stand-alone functions, to foster and improve donor relations.
- Works with the Marketing and Communications and Membership departments to manage online event content and create communications and promotion plans to support attendee acquisition goals and provide member benefits.
- Works with National Teams, Sport Growth, Safety, and Performance, and Facilities teams on various events, including, but not limited to, events hosted at USAL Headquarters. Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, attending events to ensure they run smoothly and go according to plan, troubleshooting and problem-solving during events, and coordinating and directing team members working the events.
- Works with marketing and event partners (including CVB's) to coordinate catering, security, live stream/video, registration, facility needs, shipping, and other event-related logistics.
- Creates, manages, and reconciles budgets and prepares and provides budgetary recommendations and feedback.
- Manages any change and evaluates risk for the project scope of USAL's events.
Administration & Event Execution
- Manages, coordinates, and monitors all aspects of event execution within designated facilities including, but not limited to, schedule, registration and payment processing, staffing, setup/breakdown operations, event and liability insurance, and implementation of any necessary weather and/or emergency action plans.
- Manages and controls inventory of events equipment, including conducting periodic and annual inventory of equipment and makes recommendations for replacement of equipment as needed.
- Participates on committees and attends committee meetings and conference calls.
- Coordinates all volunteer and USAL team member assignments and manages event registration, processing, reporting and P&L management of individual events.
Event Evaluation, Data Analysis, & Standardization
- Defines, evaluates, and reports on events success metrics. This includes identifying any trends and/or risks and escalating them to the appropriate team members.
- Fosters feedback loop with event teams to continually measure event effectiveness for continuous evolution and improvement of USAL's events.
Is This You...
- High school diploma or GED equivalent. Bachelor's degree in communication, marketing, sports management, or similar field of study preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 to 5 years of experience in event planning and/or management. Previous work experience in the sports, entertainment, or hospitality industry a plus.
- Previous working experience for an association, non-profit, member based, or governing body a plus.
- Intermediate computer skills, with working knowledge of Microsoft 365 products, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Enthusiastic go-getter with a "roll up your sleeves" and "get it done" attitude.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team in a fast-paced, hybrid (remote & work from home), dynamic environment.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, follow up/through skills, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Comfortable managing others and giving directions in an event setting.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and interpersonal.
- Strong collaboration skills, including the ability to work with different types of personalities.
- Ability to exercise the appropriate level of discretion and judgement with the capability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive and proprietary information and materials.
- Ability to be flexible with your work schedule, including availability to work nights and weekends based on event needs. This may also include overnight travel for NT events.
- Willingness to learn about the sport of lacrosse and appreciate the need to develop, grow, and fuel the growth of the sport with diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind.
- Ability to align with USA Lacrosse's Mission, Vision, and Values and Strategic Plan to support our initiatives and organizational goals.
Core Values & Competencies
- We Influence - Written and Verbal Communication
- We Serve - Customer Focused
- We Create & Innovate - Creativity
- We Collaborate - Peer Relationships
- We are Humble & Honest - Integrity and Trust
- We Embrace Individuality - Diversity
- We Have Fun - Work Hard and Play Hard
Expected Hours of Work
This position is generally expected to work Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm and occasionally requires longer hours or weekend work as related to events and other business needs. This position is hybrid and works at least three (3) days from the HQ office in Sparks, MD with the flexibility to work from home two (2) days a week.
Travel may be necessary up to 25% of the time (local, regional). Travel would involve the following mode(s) of travel: car, train, or air. Some out of area and overnight travel may be expected.
USA Lacrosse is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other status/characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law. USA Lacrosse believes diversity and inclusion among our team is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
US Lacrosse Inc