Underwrite Bellco Credit Union commercial loans, small business loans, ACH, and bill pay requests, utilizing previous commercial underwriting experience via collecting and spreading business, personal and global financial data, making approval or denial recommendations as appropriate and support the growth, profitability and credit quality of the Business Services department loan portfolio.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or higher in Business or Finance or equivalent work experience.
Experience: 5+ years business and commercial real estate underwriting experience required. Operating knowledge of relevant lending regulations.
Advanced knowledge in the following areas also preferred:
Basic Lending Microsoft Excel
Advanced Lending Compliance Financial Analysis
HMDA, RESPA, ECOA Audit Functions
Loan Processing Loan Documentation
Credit Quality Standards Credit Based Pricing
Loan Presentations Cash Flow Analysis
Interpret Credit Reports Tax Return Analysis
- Must possess strong communication, organizational, presentation, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities at one time.
- Ability to manage heavy workloads of loan transactions.
- Ability to assess risk versus investment for credit quality.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a structured environment.
- Operating within stated policies and procedures.
- Visual ability to interpret data from CRT/PC or written documents.
- Data entry on CRT/PC, calculator, and telephones.
Equipment: CRT/PC, computer keyboard, call-center telephone system, loan calculator, 10-key calculator by touch, photocopier, machine, FAX, and typewriter.
- Provides a valuable and enjoyable experience to both internal customers and members during interactions. Consistently suggests ways to improve the member/customer experience through improved processes and technology.
- Proficient in reviewing company and individual financial data and rendering decisions on member loan requests initiated by CBOs or through the telephone, branch, Cavion, mail, and the internet for the entire Bellco product mix:
- Business LOC
- Commercial LOC
- Secured LOC
- Commercial Real Estate Loans
- Titled Vehicles
- Pledge Loans
- Stock Loans
- Ensures application information and decision complies with Bellco policies and procedures and all state and federal laws and regulations:
- NCUA Reg 723
- HMDA (Home Mortgage Disclosure Act)
- RESPA (Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act)
- Regulation B (ECOA)
- Regulation Z
- FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act)
- Acquires and provides file documentation related to the loan decision and properly mitigate and document policy exceptions within the loan narrative.
- Communicates loan decision, as defined by approval authorities, and any required stipulations to loan support staff, CBO’s, and/or the member.
- Interviews and counsels business members on matters of financial responsibility in a manner that both limits risk to Bellco and provides sound service to our membership base.
- Consistently meets stated corporate, center, departmental, and personal objectives, goals, and initiatives working to maintain Bellco asset quality and reducing risk to the Credit Union.
- Formulates the credit presentation memos following the standard format template.
- Works with outside vendors including title, appraisal and environmental vendors to support loan underwriting as necessary.
- On the buy side duties include reviewing and underwriting potential purchases and assisting participants on the sell side as an information and support resource.
- Updates various templates and models used in the underwriting and participation process in order to adhere to regulatory and procedural compliance.
- May conduct specialized analyses and prepare specialized reports on loan quality/portfolio quality for management.
- Assists the Small Business Loan Underwriter as necessary.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as required.
- Regular and punctual attendance.
Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position as business need dictates.