IT Application Development Manager
US-WI-Merrill | US-WI-Milwaukee | US-WI-Madison
**This is a hybrid position and offers the opportunity to work 50% of time remotely and 50% of time in the office.
Provide management and allocation of resources to IT areas while ensuring achievement of business goals. Manage the application group that has specific responsibility for building or configuring, maintaining or enhancing, and eventually decommissioning applications through their life cycle. Communicate strategy; develop plans and completion criteria; and acquire, deploy, and integrate technology solutions. Supervisor responsibilities to include staffing, training and development, performance management, and work force planning. Provide leadership and direction to team members, vendors, subcontractors, and CM Group personnel, providing supporting activities that are subject to business measurements, impact customer satisfaction, and affect costs or expenses. Participate in IT Department planning to strengthen and improve service delivery plans and processes, standards, policies, and procedures and ensures their adoption and enforcement.
Supervisor/Manager responsibilities may include all of the following:
- Staffing needs, to include interviewing and onboarding for new employees.
- Training and development, as well as coaching and motivation for staff.
- Performance Management, goal setting, employee engagement, and salary administration.
- Workforce Management to include; unit equipment, software, and space needs, approving time off and overtime usage, and budget recommendations.
- Provide task level work direction.
- Work with CIO and other IT leaders to develop overall IT strategy in the context of the business strategy.
- Manage and allocate resources to IT areas to ensure the achievement of business goals. Accountable for team service delivery performance and for the impact of the results on IT and the business. Communicate strategy and develop plans to foster a high level of staff engagement.
- Develop productive relationships with business leaders across the organization to influence how applications can enable new sources of value.
- Responsible for the effective acquisition, deployment, and integration of information technology solutions. Ensure effective deployment and flexibility in meeting changing business needs. Develop plans and completion criteria and coordinate efforts of team members, vendors, subcontractors, and CM Group personnel.
- Enable the organization's flexibility through effective leadership and direction. Ensure availability of technology resources with the appropriate knowledge and skills.
- Lead through collaboration, partnering, and clear decision making. Provide leadership and guidance to individual contributors.
- Develop appropriate standards, policies, and procedures and ensure their adoption and enforcement.
- Manage status reporting, metrics, and benchmarks for the application life cycle management in line with best practice and practical experience of continuous improvement.
- Provide updates to senior IT management. Communicate problem progress/status, risk management, and business satisfaction updates.
- Participate in cost improvement strategies, including parts usage, labor, and other expense elements. Participate in overall IT Department planning to strengthen and improve service delivery plans and processes.
- Support activities subject to business measurements, impact customer satisfaction, and affect costs or expenses.
- Work with the chief information security officer (CISO) to ensure that the organization's applications are effectively secured and that risks are mitigated.
- 1+ year leadership/management experience required.
- 3+ years of progressive management experience.
- Insurance industry experience preferred.
- Knowledge of SDLC methodologies.
- Knowledge of insurance industry.
- Knowledge of insurance IT systems.
- Knowledge of financial management.
- Strong knowledge of management techniques.
- Knowledge of business risk management.
- Strong knowledge around creating business value.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office tools.
- Strong ability to build trust.
- Strong ability to deliver capabilities.
- Strong ability to adapt.
- Strong ability to manage resources and vendors.
- Experience in partnering with project, program, and product management teams
- Experience with delivering software projects using Agile/Scrum and waterfall methodologies
- Experience leading through leaders and leading multiple teams
- A strong track record of strategic project delivery for large, cross-functional projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Ability to delegate.
- Strong ability to lead/mentor less-experienced staff.
- Strategic-thinking and planning skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Strong collaboration and partnering skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Strong systemic-thinking skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong teamwork skills.
- Ability to learn CM Group IT systems, methodologies and processes, policies, products, etc., associated with the business.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer science, information science or related field (e.g., business, finance, or technical) or equivalent experience required.
- Knowledge of professional software development practices for full software development lifecycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations
- Experience with cloud computing and or desire to learn other emerging technologies
- Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and influence strategic product/project proposals and enhancements
- Experience supporting finance systems is a plus
- Performed duties as an Application Developer, QA tester or a business analyst.
This role can be filled at various levels which may require additional qualifications and responsibilities.
Church Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.