AC Transit is currently recruiting qualified candidates for the position of Janitor. Under close supervision, this position performs janitorial duties for District facilities, grounds, and adjacent walkways.
The ideal candidate would have an excellent work ethic and great attitude. This is an excellent opportunity to work for the largest bus agency in California. In addition to working with some of the best in the business, AC Transit also has an excellent benefits package that includes pension, medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending and 457 savings plan.
- Cleans restrooms, kitchen and dining areas, doors, refrigerators, drinking fountains, baseboards, storage area, and floor.
- Cleans enclosed parking structures.
- Empties trash cans and recycling receptacles.
- Vacuums carpets and floors, and mops and waxes floors.
- Sets up furniture for classrooms, meetings, etc.
- Removes dust from furniture, office areas, classrooms, and horizontal surfaces that accumulate dust.
- Washes windows and walls, and sweeps and/or washes down walkways.
- Performs related duties as required.
Experience: Two (2) years as a Janitor.
Special Requirements: Must be able to pass a heavy-lifting physical examination; must be willing to work unusual hours.
Knowledge Of: Cleaning methods and techniques for offices and similar facilities.
Ability To: Use all required cleaning instruments and equipment including mop, buffer, vacuum and broom.
THIS POSITION IS A UNION POSITION, REPRESENTED BY ATU
The Selection Process: The Human Resources department must receive a completed online application by the filling date. If this recruitment is "Continuous," it may be closed at any time without notice. Applications will be screened for job related qualifications, and those candidates who best meeting the qualifications listed on this Job Announcement will be invited to participate in an examination process that may include written, oral and/or performance segments. Current District employees must have satisfactory attendance and performance records. Finalists will be placed on an Eligibility List. When filling vacancies, the Human Resources Department will refer the top candidates to the hiring department for final screening and recommendation.
Vaccination Requirement for Candidates Seeking Employment: Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District has implemented a requirement that requires all candidates for District employment to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, including variants, prior to being employed by the District, subject to limited exceptions. AC Transit adopted this vaccination policy as an emergency public health response to mitigate the negative public health consequences associated with increased incidence and test positivity rates and the prevalence of new virus variants, including increased hospitalizations, intensive care unit admissions, and deaths.
As such, candidates seeking District employment will be required to: (1) be fully vaccinated (two weeks after completion of the entire recommended COVID-19 vaccination series) and (2) submit a copy of their COVID-19 vaccination card prior to their start date, unless a reasonable accommodation request for a medical or religious exemption has been approved.
Benefits: The transit professionals who call AC Transit home represent the rich cultural diversity of the Bay Area. For more than 60 years, we have been an equal opportunity employer honoring religion, ethnic background, national origin, gender, gender expression, genetic information, disabilities, age, and veteran status.
We are not only an inclusive employer but also offer a comprehensive benefits package rooted in choice, flexibility, and affordability. Most Benefits are effective the first of the month following your hire date. Employees and eligible dependents have access to the following benefits*:
- Medical - Choice of two Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs): Kaiser Permanente and Health Net. $10.00 office visit co-pays; $5.00 - $35.00 prescription co-pays.
- Dental - MetLife Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) $50 annual deductible per person/$150 per family; $3,000 per person annual maximum; preventative care covered at 100%; basic and major care covered at 90%; $4,000 lifetime maximum orthodontia covered at 50%.
- Vision - Vision Service Plan - $10.00 copay; eligible for an exam, lenses, frames or contact lenses every 12 months - based on the last date of service. $200 frame allowance or $120 allowance for contact lenses.
- Employer paid Basic Life Insurance
- Employee paid Voluntary Term Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Medical premium reimbursement for eligible retirees
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health Care, Dependent Care, Parking, Transit
- AC Transit contributes up to $50.00/month towards an employee's FSA Transit costs
- Free AC Transit Bus Pass
- Federal Credit Union
- Vacation and Sick Leave or Personal Time Off
- Ten (10) paid holidays; 2 paid floating holidays; 1 paid birthday holiday
- Five (5) bereavement days
- Tuition Reimbursement - up to $2500 per fiscal year on approved courses
- Wellness Program
Pension: All AC Transit employees participate in a lifetime defined benefit pension. All employees hired on or after January 1, 2020, may be in the District's Tier II pension plan covered by the Public Employees' Pension Reform Act of 2013 (PEPRA). As such, he/she may be required to contribute a small portion of annual income towards the cost of his/hers District pension.
ADA Compliant and Drug Free Workplace: The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities. If you have a need for an accommodation, please call Human Resources at .
The Alameda Contra Costa Transit District has established the goal of a 100 percent drug and alcohol-free workplace. Applicants will be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing prior to employment and those in safety sensitive positions will be subject to further drug and alcohol testing through their period of employment, including random drug and alcohol testing.
In accordance with federal requirements, all job applicants selected for appointments in a safety sensitive position are subject to pre-employment drug and alcohol testing. A final job applicant will be tested for five prohibited drugs: Cocaine, PCP, Amphetamines, Marijuana and Opiates. During employment, employees holding safety sensitive positions are subject to random, reasonable suspicion, post-accident, return-to-duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing. Additionally, in the event of an absence of more than 90 days from a safety sensitive position, pre-employment drug testing will be performed.
Equal Opportunity Employer