Job DescriptionStudent success coach and mentor (entry level, paid, full-time)
City Year AmeriCorps Member
About City Year
City Year, an AmeriCorps program, helps students across schools succeed. Diverse teams of City Year AmeriCorps members provide support to students, classrooms and the whole school, helping to ensure that students in systematically under-resourced schools receive a high-quality education that prepares them with the skills and mindset to thrive and contribute to their community.
What You’ll Do
As a City Year AmeriCorps member, your service will focus on coaching and mentoring elementary, middle and/or high school students. You will help these students earn academic success, improve their attendance, learn social-emotional skills and develop positive behaviors at school. You will plan and monitor individual student progress and work with teachers on whole class instruction, breakout spaces and other in-class student assistance.
Role and Responsibilities
Experience in all these tasks is not necessary. We provide 2-4 weeks of training at the beginning of the year to support you. Plus, you will work with partner teachers and school staff every step of the way.
Support academic coaching and social emotional development for students:
- Work with identified students 1:1 and in small groups
- Develop literacy and/or math skills varying learning activities by student level, answering student questions and encouraging assignment completion
- Create and implement a behavior management system for students
- Develop social-emotional skills throughout their day, using proven strategies of learning, practicing, reflection and repetition
- Collaborate with teachers and team members to collect, record, analyze and monitor individual student progress, participating in facilitated reviews of student data collected and entered into City Year’s student data system
- Create an engaging, safe and healthy classroom space in collaboration with the teacher
Support Whole School initiatives to increase engagement with students and families:
- Support and/or conduct extended day and virtual programming for students before, during and after school including, but not limited to, academic enrichment and intervention, homework support, recreation and student clubs, service learning, and leadership development
- Create, support and/or co-lead events or programs that recognize and appreciate student growth and/or achievement in math, literacy, attendance, and behavior
- Engage students, parents/guardians, and/or community members in education or social issues through member led themed events at schools or on virtual platforms
This role begins in July/August 2024. Start dates vary by location.
City Year benefits
You will receive:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Curalinc Employee Assistance Program
- Talkspace Therapy Program
- Benefit Advocate Center
- Bi-weekly living stipend
- Workers’ compensation
- Relocation support
- Benefits specific to City Year location
- Career and University partnerships and scholarships
- City Year / AmeriCorps Uniform parts
AmeriCorps and other federally-issued benefits
You will be eligible for:
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Child care benefits paid by AmeriCorps
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual payments for qualified student loans
- Time accrual toward the U.S. Department of Education’s Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, (see Reduction of Education Costs)
- Income-based Loan Repayment Plan (IBR)
City Year AmeriCorps members are as diverse a group as the communities we serve. We’re looking for you if you want to build yourself, give back and are ready to change the world.
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (Authorization to work in the U.S. is not sufficient. Those with DACA status unfortunately are not eligible at this time)
- Have a GED or high school diploma, some college experience, or college degree
- Have served no more than three terms in an AmeriCorps state or national program*
- Agree to complete a background check
How to Apply
Visit and submit your completed application online.
For more information on how to apply, visit:
For more information about this role visit our website.