Anatomy of a Cover Letter

tracey drake Avatartracey drake
July 6, 2006

Remember that your cover letter is your personal representative. It reflects your character, your attention to detail, your communication skills, your interest, and your intelligence. An employer will decide whether or not you will be interviewed based on your resume AND cover letter.
First Paragraph – Introduction
The first paragraph should clearly identify the job you are applying for and how you heard about it. Be sure to include any competition or job number. Indicate that you have attached your resume with the cover letter for their review. This paragraph should be brief; no more than two to three sentences.
Example paragraph:

In response to your recent advertisement in the New York Times for a Client Services Manager at your Manhattan location, please find enclosed my resume for your review.
Second Paragraph – Matching Your Skills to the Position Requirements
The second paragraph should state your qualifications for the position. Deconstruct the job description and list the required skills, duties and responsibilities. Then focus on relevant qualifications listed in your resume and discuss them in detail demonstrating how your background and experience qualify you for the position. Be as specific as possible and refer the reader to your resume for additional details.
Example paragraph:
For the past 5 years, as noted in my resume, I have worked as a front house supervisor in a 5-star resort hotel. On a daily basis, my job was to not only manage the front desk staff and process the daily audits, but to tend to clients in a personal and helpful manner. I have gained significant experience in all aspects of the business, including training and program development, staff supervision and direct client relationship management. I thrive in a challenging environment, and believe that my Masters degree in Hotel Management combined with my relevant industry experience will be a perfect fit for your offered position.
Third Paragraph – Demonstrate Your Knowledge of the Company
Refer to research you have done about the organization and how it relates to your interests in the third paragraph. This is a good place to illustrate your knowledge about the employer.
Example paragraph:
I am aware that Cherry Tree Hotels operates hotels worldwide with an emphasis on providing the highest level of customer satisfaction. After staying in your Miami property in June, I was impressed with the level of service and attention to detail. This is most definitely the type of company I would like to build a long term career with.
Fourth Paragraph – Closing Statement
Close with a two or three sentence paragraph thanking your reader for his or her time and consideration. Also, be sure to mention your interest for an interview and include your best contact number.
Example paragraph:

I would welcome the opportunity to learn more about this exceptional opportunity within your organization. Thank you for your time and kind consideration. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

————————————————————————————————————————–
Put it all together and this is what your cover letter will look like:
July 6, 2006
Cherry Tree Hotels
555 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 55555
Attention: Mrs. Jane Doe, Manager
Dear Mrs. Doe:
Sincerely,
Jack Spratt
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tracey Drake is the owner and Director of Operations of GradResumes.com. Tracey believes in the importance of educating new graduates regarding the importance of launching a career, and the value of their education and transferable skills to potential employers. GradResumes.com specializes in writing graduate resumes and college admission documents for high school students entering college, graduates seeking internship and post graduates entering the work world.