Industry News and Information

Getting your foot in

silvia a Avatarsilvia a
March 15, 2006

Attending business workshops has been pretty much a positive note for me so far. Many people go to various business workshops to not only learn about the company that is presenting but also to get recognition, get their foot inside the door through connections or maybe a job offer. For me, business workshops have been about the atmosphere and what I can learn from the business people as a whole. They help me out in ways of starting to think and act professionally in a kind of way. Even just by observing people, one could see how they act, how they carry themselves, what people’s impressions are from those people, and so on.
Going to business workshops also teaches you the skills that you personally might need and find very helpful once you go into the job force or even in your life. Just knowing how to carry yourself around professional people, it gives you an edge in a way of showing that you too could be that professional that people might look up to. Through workshops like these and others, the individual could and possibly should try to network themselves through with other people and that way make valuable relationships.
Even if you personally are not a student anymore, if you have friends that are or know someone who is a student, get in touch with them. Ask them what is going on around their school. Ask if any workshops are going on or if they do not know, ask them if they could bring you the school newspaper, which usually covers what the school is offering for the week or month. Go local school websites and seek what is happening. Get involved most importantly. All of these things will teach you something valuable, something you can use in the “real” world, in your life, as well as in everything that you do. Good luck.
These days people are saying: “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.”