Manager of Corporate Communications - Closes Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 4pmPort Colborne Bocce Club Inc | ON, ON, CA
Posted 23 days ago
The City of Port Colborne, located on the south coast of the scenic Niagara region, Niagara’s Port of Call has found the perfect balance – successful industrial and commercial sectors, comfortable and scenic residential areas, white sand beaches, unique culinary choices, the world class Sugarloaf Marina, fishing, golfing, trails, shopping districts along the historic Welland Canal and an energized festival and entertainment scene that includes live theatre – truly a community that adds to the overall Niagara Experience. A great place to work and raise a family!
Under the direction of the CAO, the Manager of Corporate Communications is responsible for the development and execution of all internal and external Communication strategies, in-line with the Corporation’s strategic priorities and objectives. The Manager of Corporate Communications is also responsible for the development and implementation of all media and public relations strategies to build brand awareness and engage with the community, corporate partners, stakeholders, and employees. This position will work closely with all levels of management, and all departments to ensure the overall objectives of the Corporation are met.
Duties & Responsibilities
The following duties listed are not meant to provide a description of each and every job performed but only those which represent the core functions of the job.
- Develop and maintain communications, marketing, and promotional plans for the Corporation and all related divisions.
- Use available marketing and promotional communication tools effectively to assist departments in promoting programs, services, and special events.
- Coordinate, develop, edit, and circulate marketing collateral distributed by the Corporation.
- Work cross-functionally and liaise with all internal departments/divisions to ensure initiatives are communicated both internally and externally effectively.
- Consult with staff from departments for content and feedback as necessary.
- Act as a primary point of contact for the media, local advertisers, corporate partners, stakeholders and sponsors.
- Develop and execute proactive media outreach strategies to enhance the City of Port Colborne’s brand.
- Provide media support, including briefing packages and on-site support to the spokespeople as well as senior management on all media opportunities.
- Manage the development and maintenance of communication policies and procedures.
- Enhance relationships with corporate partners and stakeholders and manage proactive and reactive media requests, as well as issues/risk management support.
- Respond to inquiries and maintain a high degree of customer service relations and develop key messaging for community engagement, including related communications materials.
- Responsible for having an awareness of market conditions, competitive positioning and demographics for programs and services offered by the Corporation.
- Responsible for attending special events and managing all crisis communications for the City of Port Colborne, including situations that arise after standard business hours.
- Monitor expenses against predetermined budgets for all marketing and promotional advertising projects (billboards, banner ads, digital and print media, radio, TV etc.)
- Manage external service contracts, suppliers and based upon negotiated deliverables to meet goals and objectives.
- Analyze and report digital marketing performance; and provide regular reports with recommendations for improvement and future changes.
- Lead communications growth strategies that encompass a long-standing communications vision for the City.
- Support the Mayor’s office for public speaking engagements, public appearances, social media, and communications best practices.
- Responsible for the creation, review and revision of corporate communications guiding documents: communications plan, social media plan, public engagement plan, and more, requiring long-term, big-picture thinking and strategies.
The ideal candidate has a post-secondary 3-year diploma in marketing, communications, public relations or related discipline, along with four (4) years’ related experience in a similar role, preferably in a municipal or other public sector environment. You will have excellent writing and editing skills and grammatical knowledge. You will have knowledge and experience in creating content using different writing styles for different purposes and for varied media. You have an ability to proactively develop positive and professional working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. You must be a self-starter in developing and implementing work plans and be able to determine organizational needs without benefit of direction from another communications professional. Excellent interpersonal, public speaking and customer service skills are required with the demonstrated ability to exercise tact, leadership, good judgement and diplomacy. Working knowledge of MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite applications, elements of web design or equivalents is required. You must be available to work flexible hours as necessary to attend meetings and special events.
The salary range for this full-time non-union position is $82,371.11 - $96,355.17 based on 35 hours per week and comes with a competitive benefit and pension package.
For full details, please see the job description here
To confidentially explore this exciting and challenging opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter quoting Competition #2022-56 by 4:00pm on November 15, 2022.
City of Port Colborne
66 Charlotte Street, Port Colborne, Ontario L3K 3C8
We thank all those who apply, but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Port Colborne is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process.If contacted for an interview, please advise the Human Resources staff of any measures you feel you need to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001, c.25) and will be used to select a candidate.
City of Port Colborne
66 Charlotte Street, Port Colborne
Ontario, Canada L3K 3C8