Franchised The Wedding Specialist/Conference Services ManagerMarriott International | Halifax, NS, B0B, CA
Posted 24 days ago
Job Category Sales & Marketing
Location The Westin Nova Scotian, 1181 Hollis Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada VIEW ON MAP
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Management
Additional Information: This hotel is owned and operated by an independent franchisee, New Castle Hotels, LLC. The franchisee controls all aspects of the hotel’s employment policies and practices, including the selection and hiring process. If you accept a position at this hotel you will be employed by a franchisee and not by Marriott International.
- The Westin Nova Scotian, in the Seaport District, offers travelers a relaxing retreat with stunning views of Halifax Harbour in a location central to restaurants and attractions. Our modern, upscale rooms and suites feature luxurious accommodations with contemporary amenities.
- We are passionate professional hoteliers dedicated to the art of hospitality! Our team members are dedicated to providing exceptional personalized service to our guests; our dedication to the customer shows in everything we do.
- We put people first! We take care of our associates who in turn take care of the customers. Our customers are our associates, guests, owners, investors and communities. Mutual respect is at the heart of every customer exchange.
- The Wedding Specialist/Conference Services Manager (WS/CSM) shall ensure that the high standards of servicing weddings are adhered to from selling to execution. Along with selling to and servicing the wedding market, the WS/CSM shall act as CSM to large conferences and event booked by Sales Managers.
- On the wedding side of the job, the WS/CSM is expected to be available to proactively attend trade shows, meet with wedding couples, facilitate menu tastings, complete detailed and accurate event orders and collect final payment for the event. Further, they will be the wedding couples’ on-site contact on the day of the wedding, to ensure all expectations and details are exceeded.
- On the conference side of the job, the WS/CSM is the on-site contact in charge of detailing all aspects of assigned conferences, post contract signing. These duties include, but are not limited to, Event Order execution, menu selection, floor plan creation, monitoring room blocks, creating reservation links, reviewing invoices, etc.
In the role of Wedding Specialist/Conference Services Manager, you will:
- Be an Ear that Hears -- listen to clients and see their vision so that you can capture their business while delivering on the bottom line. Stay tuned in and rapidly follow up on inquiries, concerns and issues, providing an exceptional customer experience and making yourself the ''go to'' person for future event needs.
- Be Someone that Asks -- In your competitive market, be sure you are asking for the business so that you can exceed revenue expectations (and profit goals!) Solicit, negotiate, and book new and repeat business using various tools, e.g. social media, outside sales calls, telemarketing, etc.
- Be Creative -- help the guest's vision become a reality as you guide them through everything from menu planning to the right centerpiece and then ensure your team understands what needs to be done by providing them with clear and detailed specifications, thus the client's vision is realized.
- Be a Community Presence -- represent your hotel in the local community and be seen as resource when the local community needs to plan an event.
- Be a Hotel Presence -- be sure you know, support and celebrate the hotel's staff as it takes a team to ensure a successful function. Also be a department presence, ensuring your team is always kept informed of ''what they need to know''.
Be Manager on Duty -- if requested.
The key outcome is for the WS/CSM to work cohesively with the sales, catering and banquet teams to ensure that all weddings and conferences are seamlessly executed and clients’ expectations are exceeded. Ultimately, they are to ensure that the revenues generated by the wedding and conference markets meet or exceed budgeted expectations.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• At least 3 years of progressive experience in a hotel or a related field required.
• High School diploma required.
• Word processing experience a necessity.
• Micro Soft Excel experience a necessity.
• CI/TY (Marriott’s Sales and Catering system) experience is preferred.
• Degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management, Event Management certificate or diploma is preferred.
• Background in booking or servicing weddings is an asset.
• Background in Conference Service Management is an asset.
• Bilingual (English/French) preferred.
• Long hours sometimes required.
• Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
• Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
• Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying, and solving problems as necessary.
• Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the concerns and issues raised by co-workers and guests.
• Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
• Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
DUTIES & FUNCTIONS
• Approach all encounters with guests and employees in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
• Maintain regular attendance in compliance with New Castle standards, as required by scheduling which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
• Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing the proper business attire and nametag when working.
• Comply at all times with New Castle standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
• Maintain confidentiality at all times when performing job requirements.
• Utilize any and all software packages that are required at hotel or corporate level.
• Operate computer imaging/facsimile machines.
• Consistent utilization of CI/TY (Sales and Catering) System adhering to the department standards set.
• To maintain contact with CI/TY support, when needed.
• To have a flexible schedule (i.e., some evenings, weekends) to meet with wedding couples and conference organizers to do menu tastings and discuss event details in order to produce detailed event orders for support departments (banquets, culinary teams)
• To periodically work on weekends, long weekends and evenings, as a hotel liaison/on-site contact to the couple/convenor, on the day of their wedding/event.
• To produce detailed cost estimates for wedding couples/convenors to ensure that they are on budget, as well as collecting prepayments prior to the wedding day/event.
• To attend industry events in support of the position (i.e.: local wedding shows).
**Applications should be submitted online through the New Castle careers page per the Apply button. Should you wish to follow-up on your application or if you have any questions about the role, please reach out via email to our Director of Sales, Denise Bradbury at firstname.lastname@example.org
This company is an equal opportunity employer.