Respiratory Care Practitioner CRT or RRT, Full time, Nights, 36 hrs/weekNorthwest Community Hospital | Arlington Heights, IL, 60005, US
Posted a month ago
Job Description - Respiratory Care Practitioner CRT or RRT, Full time, Nights, 36 hrs/week (230682)
Respiratory Care Practitioner CRT or RRT, Full time, Nights, 36 hrs/week - ( 230682 )
Shift: Full time, Nighs, Every other weekend
Reporting to the Manager of Respiratory Care, performs, teaches, and guides all forms of respiratory therapy, chest physical therapy, and cardiopulmonary diagnostics.
1. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to assess and treat all age groups of patients from neonatal to geriatric; implements assessment/treatment based on the developmental stages of the patient. Involves family/guardian in plan of care and conducts patient family education, as appropriate, considering the developmental needs of the patient.
2. Administers all forms of respiratory therapy including medical gases, medication delivery via the airways, chest physical therapy, pressure breathing treatments, breathing retraining, aerosol and humidity therapy. Understands the equipment, indications, contraindications, hazards, and adverse reactions of each mode of therapy.
3. Provides intensive respiratory care utilizing advanced techniques and specialized equipment; establishes and maintains an airway during CPR; performs external cardiac massage if necessary.
4. Performs arterial punctures to obtain blood gas samples, blood gas analysis, and related calculations; performs blood gas lab quality control.
5. Performs pulmonary function testing including spirometry, lung volume, and DLCO; performs related calculations, and quality control.
6. Explains purpose and procedure of treatments, tests, and equipment to patient, family, and hospital personnel; develops and delivers home care instructions to patients.
7. Participates in continuing education at all levels within the department.
8. Performs patient assessment and evaluation of care; confers with nurses and physicians to optimize the care of the patient.
9. Initiates and maintains the appropriate records in the patient chart and on respiratory care records.
10. Provides guidance to Respiratory Therapy Techs as necessary.
11. Cleans, repairs, and maintains respiratory therapy equipment; maintains appearance of the department.
12. Performs selected duties of the Director in his/her absence, eg. distributes staff assignments, grants overtime as necessary, accepts sick and absentee calls from staff, authorizes equipment rental, and activates disaster plan in case of emergency.
13. Adheres to all NCH hospital standards, policies and procedures.
Respiratory Care Practitioners assigned to Emergency Department perform the following duties in addition to the duties listed above:
2. Supervises the administration of respiratory therapy treatments by nursing staff; acts as a consultant to nurses and physicians in matters involving management of patient airway; teaches proper procedure for performing and documenting nebulizer treatments.
3. Supports the nursing team members by acting as an assistant with critical patients such as trauma patients, acute MI's, acute airway problems (i.e., vital signs T, BP, P, R), reassessments, etc.
4. Assists nursing staff in facilitating patient flow by working as a team member. Maintains peer relationships that demonstrate support, collaboration, and goal directed interaction.
1. Graduate of an AMA approved school for respiratory therapy granting eligibility to take exams given by the National Board for Respiratory Care or Registered or Certified by the N.B.R.C.
2. Current Illinois Respiratory Care Practitioner licensure required.
3. Current CPR certification from Amercian Heart Assocaition.
4. Advanced knowledge of acid-base balance, blood gas analysis and interpretation, and cardiopulmonary physiology.
5. The ability to remain calm in emergency and high pressure situations.
6. The interpersonal skills necessary to interact with patients, families, physicians, and hospital staff.
7. The written and verbal skills necessary to instruct patients, families, and hospital staff on respiratory care procedures and to do appropriate documentation.
8. Respiratory Care Practitioners assigned to the Emergency Department must demonstrate the ability to perform the associated competencies.
1. Moderate physical effort. Requires continuous standing, walking, or bending. May require frequent lifting or moving of average weight material, or occasionally lifting or moving heavy weight material.
2. The flow of work and character of duties involves normal mental and visual attention along with manual coordination.
1. Conditions are acceptable. At least one disagreeable element or hazard, i.e. high pressure gases, is frequently present in the environment, while several disagreeable elements or hazards are occasionally present.
About Northwest Community Healthcare
In January 2021, Northwest Community Healthcare (NCH) joined NorthShore University HealthSystem, which is now NorthShore – Edward-Elmhurst Health. The NCH Arlington Heights campus features a 509-bed hospital with a Level II Trauma Center, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and a dedicated pediatric acute care center. Throughout the northwest suburbs, NCH has 23 doctor’s offices; five immediate care centers; seven physical rehabilitation sites; and 13 lab locations.
NorthShore – Edward-Elmhurst Health is a fully integrated healthcare delivery system committed to providing access to quality, vibrant, community-connected care, serving an area of more than 4.2 million residents across six northeast Illinois counties. Our more than 25,000 team members and more than 6,000 physicians aim to deliver transformative patient experiences and expert care close to home across more than 300 ambulatory locations and eight acute care hospitals – Edward (Naperville), Elmhurst, Evanston, Glenbrook (Glenview), Highland Park, Northwest Community (Arlington Heights) Skokie and Swedish (Chicago) – all recognized as Magnet hospitals for nursing excellence. Located in Naperville, Linden Oaks Behavioral Health, provides for the mental health needs of area residents. For more information, visit NorthShore.org , SwedishCovenant.org , NCH.org and EEHealth.org .