Leadership Development 2 Counsellor
YMCA Camp Elphinstone
1760 YMCA Road
Rate of Pay: $126.45-$128.45/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 14th to September 2nd , 2023
Reports To: LD/OT Director, Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Leadership Development 2 (LD2) Counsellor.
These staff members are responsible for delivering and facilitating the LD2 program for 16-17 year-old campers. They work cooperatively with other members of the staff team to develop and deliver their program, which builds leadership abilities, group development among participants and instruction skills based on technical skills learned in LD1.
The LD2 program has an emphasis on group leading skills, exploring different styles of leadership, interpersonal skills, and camper care. Opportunities are also provided for campers to develop their own leadership styles. Previous camp experience is essential for these staff members, as is a high level of core camp skills, teaching, and group work.
· Live in cabins with a co-counsellor and up to 10 campers. Accompany cabin to all programs throughout the day. Provide 24-hour supervision to these campers.
· Plan and deliver experiential and educational leadership programming. Facilitate Camp Elphinstone’s core programs such as high ropes, canoeing, kayaking, archery etc. and be able to adapt programming to suit the LD2 outcomes.
· Manage group dynamics and behaviour of the cabin group to ensure the emotional and physical safety of all campers. Ensure that all campers feel supported, safe, and all of their needs (physical, emotional, social, medical, and nutritional) are being met.
· Lead multi-day canoe, backpacking, and/or sea kayaking trips with co-counsellor and 10 campers.
· Seek help from a supervisor when it is appropriate or necessary.
· Age 19+ by July 1, 2023
· Wilderness Advanced First Aid (40 hrs)
· FOODSAFE Level 1
· 3+ years of experience working with youth
· Experience leading multi-day wilderness trips
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
· 3 Successful Reference Checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· Wilderness First Responder (80 hrs)
· Paddle Canada certification (or equivalent)
· ACCT Level 1 or 2
· Mental Health First Aid