Information and Communication Technology Services (ICTS) at UniSQ is focused on providing client-focused, sustainable, high-quality services and support to students and staff, no matter where they are located and is comprised of the following functions; Client Support, Infrastructure Services, Planning and Projects.
A rewarding opportunity is currently available for a Network Engineer to join the Infrastructure Services team to provide effective support of the University’s corporate network systems, including the Wired, Wireless, Intercampus and VoIP environment. This team also looks after the Universities, Data Centre and Audio-Visual equipment so some cross skilling would be possible if interested.
This position will be on campus based at UniSQ Toowoomba campus.
What you’ll do
Reporting to the Senior Network Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, analysis, operational performance and management of data and voice telecommunications networks and services used by the University community.
In particular, you will:
• Develop, document and implement network standards and support protocols for hardware, software, and systems.
• Monitor UniSQ data and voice network performance, to ensure the high availability of services and gather usage and diagnostic data, together with appropriate and sufficient data to enable efficient capacity planning and performance reporting and management. Prepare detailed reports and diagrams outlining network capabilities.
• Ensure continuous improvement practices are developed, implemented, and documented to assist in the continued provision of timely and high-quality network services.
• Regularly report to the Senior Network Engineer on emerging issues, critical support factors and training needs, and provide regular status reports.
What will help you succeed?
Key to your success in this role will be experience in the provision of secure, high-availability, data and voice telecommunications network services for a large organisation with a geographically diverse, multi-platform environment. Your analytical and problem solving skills, strong customer service ethic and ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders will see you make a positive contribution to the university and ICT Services.
Cisco Certifications (CCNA or higher) or equivalent Networking Certifications and ACMA Open or Restricted Cabling Registration is desirable.
Specifically, you will have:
• A Degree with major studies in computing or a relevant discipline and significant subsequent relevant experience in the provision of secure, high-availability, data and voice telecommunications network services for a large organisation with a geographically diverse, multi-platform environment, or extensive experience and expertise in an appropriate technical field, or equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
• Extensive practical experience maintaining high end networking and unified communications platforms in a production environment, including complex troubleshooting and design capabilities in Cisco Catalyst (SD-Access, DNA-C), Wireless (Cisco, Meraki, Other major vendors), Cisco ISE, Contact centres, Zoom, as well as Microsoft teams. Experience in Arista networking would be advantageous
• Working knowledge and demonstrated understanding of data and voice cable plant, cabling standards and technologies, production of network diagrams and implementation plans, carrier services and technologies, including optic fibre, NBN, and microwave.
• Demonstrated use of innovation and analytical skills to generate viable options and develop solutions to diverse workplace issues and take responsibility for outcomes.
What we can offer you
The University offers a range of different ways of working and connecting across our physical and virtual spaces to meet the needs of our students, partners and community. We value diversity and aim to foster an inclusive environment that is underpinned by our values and champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from all diversity groups.
With an increasingly diverse workforce, we understand that careers may be placed on hold or limited throughout many life circumstances. We recognise the importance of considering achievement relative to opportunity and encourage you to outline factors such as career breaks, gender, family, or other factors which may have resulted in a limited career progression.
Please note, appointment will be made to the title of Converged Network Engineer.
For any enquiries regarding this position, please contact Toran Matherson, Manager (Networks) on +61 7 4631 1375 or email Toran.Matherson@usq.edu.au .
Reference Number: 0431_11/22
Term: Full-time continuing appointment (36 hrs/week)
Salary: Total remuneration range $106,966 to $118,279 pa (includes salary range of $90,381 to $99,940 pa, employer superannuation contributions of up to 17% of salary and annual leave loading)
Closes: Monday, 5 December 2022
At UniSQ, we are united by our core values of Respect, Integrity and Excellence, which guide our daily actions and decision making.
If you know that this role is right for you, we invite you to submit your current resume/CV together with a two-page (maximum) statement, outlining your relevant skills and experience relative to the ‘essential criteria’ in the position description. For more information on “ How to apply for a job” please refer to Uni SQ The application process.
Click Begin at the bottom of this page to register with USQ's Online Application System