SMT, Inc. is a sheet metal manufacturing business that has been in business since 1969. We offer a stable work environment supported by a strong management team. We are seeking talented individuals with a strong work ethic to be part of our growing team.
We are currently looking for an individual to join our team as a Grinder on 1st shift. Our first shift hours are 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM Monday - Friday. Overtime is available and may involve additional hours outside of the normal shift hours as well as some Saturdays.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities - Grinder
In this Grinding position you'll be using handheld grinding or vibrating equipment to remove slag and splatter from welds to customer specifications on welded piece parts, sub-assemblies, and assemblies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of a Grinder
- Follow and comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Using information form blueprints, travelers, and work instructions determines customer requirements regarding finish.
- Uses various grinding and vibrating equipment to deburr, removes excess welds and slag, remove surface defects and smooth surfaces of product.
- Fills out all required production paperwork and records.
- Maintains work area in clean and safe condition.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent. No previous experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to read basic blueprints and perform basic mathematical calculations. Knowledge of metal removal equipment such as grinder, orbital sander, files and chisels. Ability to follow instructions and use basic quality inspection equipment including calipers and micrometers.
- Position requires employee to complete OSHA Respiratory Protection Medical Questionnaire Form and evaluated for pulmonary fitness. Both proper training for respirator use and respirator fit tested must be completed prior to first day of employment.
- Constant exposure to one or more elements typically found in a manufacturing setting such as noise, dust, heat, fumes or dirt, which may not be desirable. In some areas, exposure to hazards may require the use of personal protective equipment including dust masks and earplugs.
Decision-Making / Confidentiality
- Requires some periods of normal and some periods of constant mental / visual application. Little or no independent judgment and decision making within Company policies to resolve operational problems and to determine manufacturing processes and procedures.
- Limited exposure to confidential data such as product design information and work center rates.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities that are or will be assigned to this position. An employee holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as assigned by management. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.