The role of Quantity Surveyor is responsible for providing accurate and value generating input to projects. The role ensures that all commercial aspects are carried out in accordance with the contract, company policies and procedures, and to the satisfaction of the customer and/or contract leader. This role may work independently or under the direction of a more senior Quantity Surveyor. The QS will be able to demonstrate the ability to function as a member of an integrated team.Role Responsibility
- Inputting to the efficient and effective management and issuing of accurate, timely and compliant notices and correspondence
- Preparation or assessment of applications, valuations, cost/value reconciliation.
- Cost control and forecasting. Prepare and provide input to monthly reports: value, cost, profit/loss, cash flow and budget.
- Preparation and agreement of applications for payment or the assessment & preparation of payment certificates.
- Assisting with Risk and Value Management to optimise solution. Monitor and regularly review with the project team. Identifying, analysing and developing responses to commercial risks.
- Contract Management, including all relevant contractual forms, methods of budgetary control and relevant software applications.
- Prepare supply chain enquiries, negotiate, administer and finalise / close out supply chain contracts.
- Ensure all notifications/documents are managed in accordance with the contract, and customer / company policy.
- Ongoing liaison with site team, subcontractors and Customers representatives
- Undertake record-keeping including but not limited to collating site records, the preparation of meeting packs, meeting invites and taking meeting minutes
- Provide contractual advice to the project / site team as and when appropriate.
- Maintaining awareness of the different construction contracts in current use
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
- Demonstrable financial and commercial acumen
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Practical approach, logical thought process and a methodical way of working
- A creative and innovative approach to problem-solving
- Experience of setting up and/or operating office management systems including filing systems and document control and distribution
- Experience of technical minute taking at contractual meetings and able to demonstrate the ability to collate information and prepare reports
- Experience of drafting contractual correspondence on behalf of the Project Manager and preparation of payment certificates and interim financial reports
- Experience of contributing to procurement and contract strategies
- Negotiating and team-working skills and the ability to motivate and lead
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrable legal, contractual and construction knowledge
- Confidence and ability to assert influence
- Hold an RICS/CICES accredited Degree (or equivalent) or enrolled on an accredited part-time post-graduate Degree.
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UKs new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UKs 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
Youll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.