An exciting opportunity has become available for a talented Frontend Engineer to join us here at thebigword!Overview of DepartmentYou will be part of a dynamic and energised team, working in a custom-built technology environment designed to help you thrive.The team is made up of approximately 40 colleagues working in Software Development, Business Analysis, Product & Application Support, Architecture, Testing and Information Security.Headed up by Mark Rice, Chief Information Officer, our team is responsible for the technology within our business that enable us to deliver the world-class service that our clients expect. We work hard - but can guarantee that the work is varied, fast-paced and no two days are ever the same!Our new facilities mean that we have the right environment in which to thrive, but we can also use the space to relax. We have an indoor rooftop terrace, a wellbeing garden, a giant chess board, kitchen facilities and there is always a table-tennis tournament going on! It’s the perfect place to develop your career!Responsibilities
- Ensure that web design is optimised for all supported devices, and screen dimensions.
- Optimize web pages for maximum speed and scalability.
- Work closely with designers to ensure that developed webpages match the visual design intent and user experience.
- Deliver reusable components to improve maintenance and consistent user experience.
- Check and test your code to detect and remedy errors, omissions, and user accessibility issues.
- Lead by example and support the wider Product Development team by sharing experience and helping to foster and maintain a culture of close collaboration, autonomy, and ownership.
- Assist in the technical direction and future state architecture for the WordSynk platform and remain aligned with business plans and objectives.
- Participate in group collaboration sessions to help refine product requirements, share ideas and solutions, and transfer knowledge across the wider Product Development team.
- Remain abreast of frontend engineering and technology changes that will impact your work.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of frontend frameworks (Angular or React) is essential.
- Strong communication skills and ability to articulate complex topics within group discussion.
- Understanding of Agile methodologies and experience of working within an Agile environment.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Able to work within a team setting.
- Knowledge and experience of browser testing and user accessibility requirements.
- Empathetic and motivated to deliver great user experience.
Interested?Click the link and apply with your CV. All candidates will receive an email to advise their application has been received. We wish to stress that the successful candidate must be UK based with the right to work in the UK.Due to the nature of our business, all successful applicants will be required to complete a basic criminal records disclosure.The CompanyThebigword makes the world a smaller place by breaking down language barriers, supporting global trade and helping people access goods, commerce and services in their own languages.Founded in 1980, we provide the best translation, interpretation, localisation and language technology solutions - handling up to 50,000 worldwide assignments every day. We’re a truly global business.To us, a first class service means meeting every client’s cost, quality and delivery expectations every time. We achieve this through innovative language technology, expert operational teams and a talented team of skilled and professional staff who deliver every single time - and that’s where you come in!thebigword is committed to encouraging diversity and opposing all forms of discrimination in our working environment. Our aim is that our workforce will be truly representative of all sections of society and each employee feels respected and able to give of their best. As an international company that operates worldwide and due to the nature of our industry we are a multicultural company. We have a large diverse client base which demands diversity amongst our employees to be able to service our clients effectively, thus meaning we employ people from different cultures and we do not discriminate against people on grounds of race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, religion/belief, age, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage, civil partnerships, pregnancy, maternity or disability.