Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-4 x per year. Must be local to Arizona IT Innovation Center OR GM Global Technical Center Warren, MI, or willing to relocate.About GM
We’re dedicated to achieving our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion. We are looking for people who are passionate about helping us create safer, better and more sustainable solutions for personal mobility. Our bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.Job Description Summary:
Do you imagine a world of zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion? We do. We place our customers at the center of everything we do, and we are creating vehicles that move humanity to that goal. The Software Defined Vehicle (SDV) team supports the definition, design, and development of continuously improving mobility services. SDV is a new vehicle intelligence platform that will underpin all our future innovations across a wide range of technological advancements, including EVs and expanded automated driving. This means that you can potentially put a fingerprint on the vehicles that drive down the road!
General Motors is looking for hardworking software engineers to help us build innovative connectivity solutions for our new Software Defined Vehicle (SDV) platform. We are seeking people who can help us push the limits of vehicle technology.
As part of our team, you will develop and integrate software for GM’s sophisticated line of vehicle technology. Our group delivers software for GM’s next generation connectivity and infotainment systems. We are looking for upbeat individuals who are passionate about software and have a desire to shape the automotive industry.Your role:
- Design, develop and unit test embedded software for the vehicle in an Agile environment
- Work with multi-functional groups across GM and external companies to develop timely software solutions
- Work with validation teams to triage issues and assist in communicating status of open issues to management
- Ensure that issues are resolved in a timely manner independent of personal responsibility
- Promote partnership and foster collaboration both inside and outside of the Phoenix Development organization
- As required, be involved in all aspects of developing new features including story elaboration, estimation, analysis, design, programming, unit/integration testing and debugging
- Participate in architecture, requirements, design, code, and test case reviews
- Bachelor of Science degree in Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or other related software subject area
- C/C++ development
- Embedded systems development
- Able to balance efforts between building new features, refactoring code and tweaking existing features based on customer or validation feedback
- Creativity and initiative as well as a high level of independent judgment - able to deliver quality results with little supervision.
- Ability to identify and write appropriate unit tests to isolate the subject component.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented software design and related techniques
- Good verbal, written and communication skills
- Passion to learn new technologies
- 2+ years of full time (post graduation) software development experience
- Master of Science Degree in an engineering field or information technology
- Software development on Linux, QNX, or other POSIX based operating systems
- AUTOSAR or other OSEK development experience
- ASIL compliant software development
- Familiarity with Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS, Cellular, CAN, V2x simulators and test devices
- Understanding of networking and software development in distributed systems
- Programming experience with asynchronous protocols, inter-process communications, and multi-threaded development
- Connectivity development – telephony, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, BLE, NFC, UWB, V2x, other wireless transports
- Telematics development – vehicle remote management, safety and security services, vehicle bus protocols, vehicle diagnostics
For GM Internal Candidates: This role is posted both as a 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate's relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.About GM
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.